FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
I have several containers that are getting a really bad algae infestation. Most are seeds/seedlings. Should I repot? And should I wipe the seeds off with something if they are big enough, or should I treat the media with something? Until now I’ve grown deserty plants, so this is my first experience with algae.

I also threw in a photo of some moss I don’t know what to do about either.
Attachments:
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 247 times
IMG_5338.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 247 times
IMG_5339.jpeg
IMG_5339.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 247 times
By andynorth
I am not sure others would agree but I always keep a humidity dome over my seeds until after they germinate. I have not had an algae issue as of yet. I also use a mix that is almost all LFSM. I seem to have more luck that way. As for the moss, some people like it but others find it invasive. If it is regular sheet moss and not LFSM I pull it out as it will eventually overtake and smother your plants.
By optique
full sun should kill it.
By Hedonista
I think I know what caused the algae - the little pots were in dishpans which had sides a couple inches higher than the pots, restricting airflow. I’ve corrected that issue, but I need to know what to do about the algae that has already grown. It’s really bad in some containers. I don’t have the option of full sun for a while either, since our lows are still mostly in the 30s.

I don’t know what kind of moss it is…maybe star moss?
By andynorth
Hedonista wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:52 pm I think I know what caused the algae - the little pots were in dishpans which had sides a couple inches higher than the pots, restricting airflow. I’ve corrected that issue, but I need to know what to do about the algae that has already grown. It’s really bad in some containers. I don’t have the option of full sun for a while either, since our lows are still mostly in the 30s.

I don’t know what kind of moss it is…maybe star moss?
Do you have grow lights on the seeds? Possibly leave them on longer and water less. If the moss is star moss I believe that is the same as sheet moss which will choke out your plants eventually.
By Hedonista
andynorth wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:58 pm Do you have grow lights on the seeds? Possibly leave them on longer and water less. If the moss is star moss I believe that is the same as sheet moss which will choke out your plants eventually.
I have T8 lights on them for 15 hours/day. I will try watering less. And I’ll remove the moss.
By Hedonista
So is there a product to treat the algae that won’t harm my CPs?
By Intheswamp
If you haven't already, you might consider one of those clamp-on fans. I've got a couple (5"?) and I run them on low just to cause an air exchange. I don't use them all the time, but I believe they do help. The slight movement cause by the fan also helps strengthen the stems and stalks.
andynorth liked this
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!