FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Anisaurus
So I repotted this baby vft earlier this winter during its dormancy and it seemed to be healthy as it woke up, putting out tiny green traps that were increasing in size. However recently I looked at and noticed the tips of the traps were getting yellowed and deformed. This continued and every trap now is like this and im getting worried

For context right now as my area is still too cold at night (soon it will change) I have been giving it 12 hours of grow lights and water it once the tray empties for a day
Attachments:
IMG_2713.jpeg
IMG_2713.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 449 times
By andynorth
It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhizome showing.

Taken from another thread:
If you are new to flytraps, before posting a question please read the basic care information here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus- ... care-sheet

and the more detailed information in the links here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... ation.html
By Intheswamp
Anisaurus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am So I repotted this baby vft earlier this winter during its dormancy and it seemed to be healthy as it woke up, putting out tiny green traps that were increasing in size. However recently I looked at and noticed the tips of the traps were getting yellowed and deformed. This continued and every trap now is like this and im getting worried

For context right now as my area is still too cold at night (soon it will change) I have been giving it 12 hours of grow lights and water it once the tray empties for a day
How strong are your grow lights? How far away from them is the flytrap?

I would kick the photo-period up to 16 hours.

How deep is the water in the tray and how tall is the pot? You're using low/no-mineral water, right?

What temperature is it growing in? Cool temperatures and wet conditions are not good, from what I've seen.
andynorth, MikeB liked this
By Intheswamp
Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start shooting up...cut it off. It will burn a lot of energy that this plant sorely needs right now. But, don't throw the stalk away...stick it down into some peat/perlite mix and bag it...you might start a new plant from it. Younger stalks tend to "strike" (create a plantlet) better than older stalks.
andynorth liked this
By Anisaurus
Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but they are like the basic ones you can get from amazon with 3 heads and they are about 6 inches away. The pot is around 7-8 in deep and i am refilling the water level to around 1-2 in up the pot. Its growing in room temp rn but I wanna move it outside sometime next week.
By Anisaurus
Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a side of the rhizome looks a little brown and crispy, but the rest of it is still white. I also noticed that in the center now the leaves have a little bit of brown starting from the growth point. Could this be rot or a pest and can I use something like cinnamon?
By Intheswamp
Anisaurus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but they are like the basic ones you can get from amazon with 3 heads and they are about 6 inches away. The pot is around 7-8 in deep and i am refilling the water level to around 1-2 in up the pot. Its growing in room temp rn but I wanna move it outside sometime next week.
I suggest taking a ruler and doing some measuring so you really know where your at. In a confined space the difference of an inch can make a difference. I'm certainly no expert, and struggling myself, But I think 2 inches of water would be too much. Most recommendations that I see are for between an 0.50" and 1.0" of water for flytraps in six inch to eight inch pots. I'm personally rather underwhelmed with the medusa-headed lights. Do you have any specs or a link to the one that you're using? Being too wet with low light levels seems to do about the same as too cool with low light levels. It takes a very good light to grow a flytrap indoors. Btw, what is your general location (for climate info)?
By Anisaurus
It was rot
Im not sure if it was root rot or crown rot but I attempted to save it but my chances dont seem too good
Attachments:
IMG_2741.jpeg
IMG_2741.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 196 times

As long as the sun isn't shining directly on it an[…]

You can also get Bettergro LFSM on Amazon with fre[…]

I decided to go with Cook’s as he had all of[…]

however the same happens with sarracenia, if the[…]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!