FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
This may seem to be a stupid question as I think I know the answer so I guess I am just looking for clarification. Is the moss that naturally grows in the peat moss along with VFT's, Sarrs and Drosera LFSM or is it some other naturally occurring moss? I ask because the moss that is growing in my pots that have little to no LFSM seems a bit different than the natural moss that grows on the LFSM. Kind of hard to see in photos but the moss on the right is little to no LFSM mix from 2 different pots and on the left is 1:1 Peat/LFSM.
Attachments:
20240407_172132.jpg
20240407_172132.jpg (367.15 KiB) Viewed 365 times
By BumpyEvergreen
Yeah you'd be right, they are two different moss types the one on the right is one that I see in all carnivorous plants that I get from stores that use peat. It probably occurs naturally with the peat that is harvested, I believe it is a "star moss" could be wrong though. The one on the left looks like you got actual lfsm growing.
Here is where my spag started growing.
PXL_20240408_011317129.jpg
PXL_20240408_011317129.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 351 times
It is pretty small and withered since it has not been fed and has been in low light, it is a hundred percent spag though as I can trace the small portions back to where they were bigger and an extension of the fiber.

star moss
star moss.png
star moss.png (496.86 KiB) Viewed 351 times
andynorth liked this
By steve booth
Left side is Sphagnum and right is 'sheet moss' and of little use to carnivorous plants, unless yu like it as a top dressing.
Cheers
Steve
MikeB liked this
By andynorth
steve booth wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:57 am Left side is Sphagnum and right is 'sheet moss' and of little use to carnivorous plants, unless yu like it as a top dressing.
Cheers
Steve
Thank you. I have been pulling it as I go and replacing with LFSM. That seems to catch on and come back alive, especially while dormant. My VFT's grow in all LFSM. It came to life and was choking them out so I cleaned it from the rhizome. I have a couple that were in LFSM when I got them and they are doing great.
Intheswamp liked this
By steve booth
Hi Andy
steve booth wrote:I have a couple that were in LFSM when I got them and they are doing great.
Yes, indeed they do, I grow many in live Sphagnum and they do look to grow better that in my peat mixes. I find the live Sphagnum very useful for plants that are failing a bit, or where I have had rot and I had to cut most/all the rhizome off, it does have antiseptic qualities.
Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Live sphagnum, or freshly harvested sphagnum was used here in the states during the civil war as a wound dressing. As recent as WWI it was used as a wound dressing, also. Live sphagnum is good stuff with excellent results when used with carnivorous plants. I feel that leaf cuttings *really* do well in it.
andynorth, MikeB liked this

A few additional things I use: a turkey baster (to[…]

I recommend both Lee's Botanical Gardens and Flytr[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!