FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Colonel_Kwalski
I have to ask should we be worried about the incoming cicada swarm that is coming across the US. Would they eat venus flytraps and other plants? I've been thinking about this for a couple days and this could be a discussion of other possible bug swarms that could ruin our plants.
By BumpyEvergreen
It's nothing to really worry about, cicadas naturally eat tree sap and don't stray from that unless there aren't trees around, so maybe Kansas I guess. I still keep a metal cage around my plants to keep squirrels out though but if you are worried you could get some bug netting. Locusts would be the insect to worry about as they will pretty much eat anything.
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Nothing to worry about...unless you're the paranoid type. Imagine, thousands and thousands and thousands of eyes looking at *you*. And these hulking giant *flies* then send reports to the mother ship via some type of audible digital signal, kinda like RTTY for ham radio. Then, they just sit there, and sit there, and sit there. Have they really climbed down into the ground like people say or did that mother ship pick them up? It all seems like a sinister conspiracy to take over the world...and you're the first victim!!!!! :? Just sayin'....
Panman liked this
By Fishkeeper
As BumpyEvergreen said, cicadas feed on tree sap. Their mouthparts are made for piercing and sucking, not for chewing, so they physically can't eat your flytraps. They also don't tend to do any major harm to trees, unless it's a very small tree that's already quite sickly.
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, I wonder how they’d be if after you’re finish sautéing them you popped them in the broiler for a minute with some white cheddar cheese on them?
By DragonsEye
Have a big question… Have you ever tried that recipe pan man?

Insects are commonly eaten in many parts of the world. Who knows someday may catch on even in the US. :mrgreen:
By Intheswamp
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd have to have mine well-done....as in charred beyond recognition, and then mixed in with some crunchy bacon.

But, if you eat bread and lots of other foods, you probably consume bugs everyday. Small ones, but...bugs. :mrgreen:
By MikeB
Now for a limited time at Applebee's: cicada poppers.

"Eating good in the neighborhood."

A few additional things I use: a turkey baster (to[…]

I recommend both Lee's Botanical Gardens and Flytr[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!