FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Today I was watering the crew and I came upon my Megatraps and noticed it looked light yellow. Now I know this can be a sign of overwatering but is there any way that this could just be some type of coming out of dormancy drama or something lol... because I just don't see how I am overwatering and to be honest the plant looks quite healthy!

The temps here in The Valley Of The Sun have been in the low 50s at night and in the 70s during the day. I never leave water in my trays except for when I'm watering, and I will let them soak for maybe 4-5 hours then take all the water out and have been watering about every 6 days. My flytraps are planted in all sphagnum moss and have been recently repotted during dormancy (maybe 2 months ago).

I have over 80 pots/styrofoam cups of flytraps and am just not having this issue and everything is watered the same, but i guess who knows maybe this Megatraps was the lucky one and got overwatered haha... What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!
Attachments:
Megatrapsyellowing.jpg
Megatrapsyellowing.jpg (171.5 KiB) Viewed 524 times
By tommyr
I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine for the first time in 20 years with mine. New traps coming out yellow and not changing. I am doing nothing different this year so I am at a loss. VERY strange to me. anyone have any ideas? Ever see this Matt? They all got re-potted this past winter, same wake up treatment I've been doing for 16 years now.

frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
tommyr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 pm I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine for the first time in 20 years with mine. New traps coming out yellow and not changing. I am doing nothing different this year so I am at a loss. VERY strange to me. anyone have any ideas? Ever see this Matt? They all got re-potted this past winter, same wake up treatment I've been doing for 16 years now.

I am honestly still convinced that it has something to do with dormancy although you have been growing for a long time and its strange that yours would all of a sudden start doing that when you are not doing anything different. I mean your flytrap looks totally healthy. I ended up un potting mine and checking the rhizome just to be safe and everything was good there.

By any chance have you been using any sort of pesticides? For the last 2+ weeks I have been battling red spider mites and using Avid and Floramite in rotation and I have been wondering if that had anything to do with the yellow coloration. I'm kind of just riding it out at this point and just hoping for the best because my Megatraps are growing completely fine with new growth.
By tommyr
frankgrimes087 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am
tommyr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 pm I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine for the first time in 20 years with mine. New traps coming out yellow and not changing. I am doing nothing different this year so I am at a loss. VERY strange to me. anyone have any ideas? Ever see this Matt? They all got re-potted this past winter, same wake up treatment I've been doing for 16 years now.

I am honestly still convinced that it has something to do with dormancy although you have been growing for a long time and its strange that yours would all of a sudden start doing that when you are not doing anything different. I mean your flytrap looks totally healthy. I ended up un potting mine and checking the rhizome just to be safe and everything was good there.

By any chance have you been using any sort of pesticides? For the last 2+ weeks I have been battling red spider mites and using Avid and Floramite in rotation and I have been wondering if that had anything to do with the yellow coloration. I'm kind of just riding it out at this point and just hoping for the best because my Megatraps are growing completely fine with new growth.
No insecticides have ever been used or needed on mine. Thankfully. It's a strange thing this yellowing.
All the rhizomes looked and felt fine during re-potting.
frankgrimes087 liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!