FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rrrt
Hello everyone -

I recently got some D. burmannii seeds from the seed bank. It’s only been a couple days since I planted them, so they unsurprisingly haven’t sprouted yet.

In anyone’s experience, though, about how long do they take to germinate?

Plus, I also have some other Drosera seeds (D. capensis, D. spatulata, D. finlaysoniana) arriving soon which I might ask the same question regarding.

Thank you all very much!
By ChefDean
There are many factors that influence them, and they all affect each other. They are too numerous to list and cross reference, so just give them the best conditions you can and be patient.
By Hedonista
I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, and I’ve had a couple seeds germinate. They are really fresh seeds, so they can germinate faster than older seeds, in as little as two weeks (depending on the type of seeds as well as all those factors ChefDean mentioned). But yeah, mainly what Chef and Shadowtski said.
By ChefDean
Hedonista wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, and I’ve had a couple seeds germinate. They are really fresh seeds,...
Yours were fresh, won in the giveaway of seeds donated by Hollyhock. His are from the supply we've had, so his are likely a couple of years old.
By Intheswamp
I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/2024. So far the only one to germinate were the D. Capensis "Redrum"...those sprouted in only 12 days. I'm still waiting on the others. I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from the seedbank (I've got "FTC" written on the envelope) but I don't know when...I've looked on the forum to find my request but "nada". They certainly jumped up quick!
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pmI know I got the "Redrum" seeds from the seedbank (I've got "FTC" written on the envelope) but I don't know when...I've looked on the forum to find my request but "nada". They certainly jumped up quick!
I think you got those as a tester because others had poor to zero results, so you graciously accepted the invitation to test them out. I want to say you got them at the same time as the regia "Twister II" seeds.
By Intheswamp
I know you sent me a tester of some two-year-old Dr. E. Konig, they’re one of the others that I’m waiting on in this batch to pop. Still didn’t see anything on the Redrum, though…maybe the sundew fairy stuck them in the refrigerator for me! :lol:
By Intheswamp
Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germination group, too.
By Gary
Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariensis seeds from the Seed Bank a few weeks ago. I planted some in chopped LFSM/Perlite and some in sifted peat moss/Perlite. All media thoroughly rinsed. I'm keeping them in high humidity at 75 °F. Still haven't seen anything sprouting but keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see...

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!