FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wolfcub258
Hi everyone this is my first post here

I have a question about refrigerator dormancy. I know refrigerator dormancy isn’t ideal but it was the best option for me given my circumstances at the time. I put my Venus flytraps into dormancy just over 3 months ago. I’ve been told to leave them another 6 weeks but it seems like a lot to me. Was hoping to take them out of the fridge in a few days and start acclimating them. Is it too early? Every source I read online says anywhere from 3-4 months.

Thanks!
By Huntsmanshorn
Three months will get the job done so if you are ready to go then pull them out of the fridge and enjoy.
By tommyr
For VFTs, in mid – October (zone 6) once the plants are well into the start of dormancy (they need both shorter photo period AND cold like in nature) I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a SULFUR based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the bottom of the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February 1st I take them out and clean them up, repot any that need it, hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 15 years with no losses.

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.co[…]

on another division with one short root, all the l[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!