FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sswitzer7198
Hello everyone!

I am a new owner of a Venus Flytrap, I have been talking about wanting one for a long time and last week my co-worker gave me one as a gift! I have been constantly researching about the flytrap since then and still have a few questions. I have already bought a 6" plastic pot to repot it in and am just waiting for the carnivorous soil and Sphagnum moss to arrive. The flytrap is from Lowe's so it definitely has most likely not received proper care and I plan to repot it ASAP. I plan to put some sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot to cover the holes when repotting.

I live in Roanoke, Virginia and right now the temperatures most days are in the 30's and 40's (sometimes 50's; the weather will most likely stay this way or drop until March/April). Right now my flytrap is still indoors, but after discussion with a flytrap expert I was told it would be better in the long run for the plant to stay outdoors as much as possible even thought the sun isn't very present here in the winter. I know this is the dormancy period but I for sure don't want my plant to die from lack of sunlight. There are already a few black traps that have formed since last week, I know that this is normal in dormancy. Some are not completely black and plan to trim them once they are.

However, I still have a few questions I need clarified so that I can provide the best possible care for my flytrap. In the past I have not been great at keeping plants alive, my last plant was dragon's breath 2 years ago and it lasted a few months. I really want to thrive with this and watch my flytraps grow for years to come!

1) If I put sphagnum moss at the bottom to cover up the holes, can I still do the water tray method? This might seem dumb but I want to make sure it doesn't block the plant from receiving water.

2) For the water tray method, should I keep the water tray with 1 to 2 inches constantly or no? I have been reading that cold and wet is bad during dormancy. This weekend I will be repotting, so I know it might need more water.
a) After repotting, should I keep my flytrap in a water tray constantly and if so, how much water and for how long? if not, I have read that recently repotted flytraps usually need more water. How frequent/much should I water my repotted plant if the tray method is not recommended and if so, how long should I give it extra water for?
b) During the winter months (October-February/March), is the water tray method able to be used? I know the water tray can be used in the winter for the plant to soak up as much water as needed and then it is recommended to remove the plant from the tray, but how long should I give the plant to soak up the water?
c) Come Spring/Summer, can I have my plants in constant water using the tray method and if so, would this be 1-2 inches of water or more/less? I know it will vary based upon the temperature and the plant's needs (if the soil is damp or not) but wanted to see if I was able to have it in constant water at this time since it will be warmer (high 60's to high 90's) and if there was a minimum amount of water I should keep in the tray?

3) Usually the most intense winter months here are February and sometimes even March. If for some reason the temperature outside drops below 30, should I move my plants indoors or to my unfinished basement? At what temperature should I temporarily move my flytrap indoors, and will it be ok without artificial lighting if it is for one day/a few days until the temperature rises?

4) If there are strong winds/storms here, should I temporarily move my flytraps indoors? I know this may seem like a silly question but I will be a residential grower in my own home and plan to have my plants set in my back yard. I do not have a greenhouse, nursery, or anything similar.

5) This one is a little unrelated, but I plan on growing my flytrap collection once I start getting the hang of the care needed (I just have one flytrap at the moment) and have found beautiful flytraps on the California Carnivores Plant Nursery website- is this a reputable grower that I can purchase from?

6) Once I purchase more flytraps, should I always plan to repot them in a different pot if they are shipped to me?

7) Are there certain types of flytraps that are easier to manage than others? As I mentioned above, I plan on purchasing more flytraps in the near future and by summer would like to have 5 or 6 flytraps total to care for. On the California Carnivores website, I am very interested in the Dionaea m. "Alien", Dionaea m. "Long Red Fingers", Dionaea m. "Phalanx", Dionaea m. "Sasquatch", Dionaea m. "Ginormous", and Dionaea m. "Red micro teeth" (I do not plan on purchasing all of these or multiple plants at one time, I will probably purchase one more flytrap within the next month and then wait until Spring to purchase another one).

8) I am looking on amazon for a good outdoor shelf to grow my flytraps on year-round. I have a pretty decent sized back yard but would like to find a high shelf where the flytraps can get sun, catch bugs, and are also safe from wildlife. The back of my back yard has woods and I want to ensure that the flytraps are safe from raccoons, deer, etc. I was going to get a mini greenhouse but read that it can get too humid for the flytraps and I for sure don't want that. Here is some shelves that I found: would any of these be high enough to protect flytraps from animals and if not, is there an outdoor shelf that you would recommend? I also want to ensure that I have something sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Multiple ... =1-10&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/VyGrow-Indoor-Ou ... =1-16&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Bamworld-Indoor- ... =1-28&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/YIZAIJIA-Outdoor ... =1-31&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/DOEWORKS-Display ... LKH2Z&th=1

9) This is just a curious question I have; are there any bugs toxic to flytraps? I know they should not catch bugs bigger than their traps, if this happens by chance does any action need to be done or do you just let the plant do its thing?

10) Are there any other important tips or advice that you would give to a new flytrap owner?

I apologize for the numerous questions, there is a lot of conflicting information out there and I really want to provide the best care and life for my flytraps!!

Thank you in advance for any knowledge and information!!
By Intheswamp
Howdy. I'm not really a flytrap person, but I'll take a few stabs at your questions.

* Sphagnum moss in the bottom covering the drain holes should be fine.
* Flytraps don't like as much water as most other carnivorous plants like. It's usually stated to have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water in their tray and allow the water to dry up for a day or so before watering again.
* #2a - Just be sure the growmix stays moist, not soggy. You could top-water, let it drain through, and then dump the drain water.
* #2b - Usually check the surface and see if it's moist. Otherwise, set them in the water for a several hours, take them out, and let them drain a while before setting them back on a tray. Even then some water will probably drain out...don't fret over it.
* #2c - Depends on your own weather. Summer is hotter, plants will use more water, water will evaporate, and you don't want the plant to experience drought. Depending on how hot and dry your conditions are you may want more water in the tray than during cooler times. Keeping more water in the tray is better with tall (6"+) pots...with the taller pots the grow mix can suck up the water and deliver to the plant roots but the flytraps "toes" are not submerged in water all the time. Also, since I mentioned pots...white pots are best at not absorbing as much solar heat.
* #3 - A temporary move indoors to dodge freezing temperatures should not be a big problem during dormancy. If your basement is unheated and possibly has some small windows then that might be a good place for them to overwinter. And really, the light isn't absolutely necessary, either. ChefDean has a photo of his plants sitting in dormancy, maybe he will post it.
* #4 - Moving plants temporarily indoors during the active growing season *can* cause a setback in growth progress. It stresses the plant some to be in a new orientation, environment. They live in the outdoors naturally and never turn around and point the opposite direction (if you see where I'm coming from). Regular thunderstorms, rain showers, etc., shouldn't be a problem. Naturally, if you have a hurricane coming in, some 50mph straight-line winds predicted, etc., it might be prudent to move them indoors (of course, with those conditions the flytraps might not be high on the priority list).
* #5 - Cal Carn is a legit business and has a good reputation. You might consider looking at Matt and Leah's (the couple that host this forum) website and see what they offer. They have an excellent reputation and some really nice flytraps. There focus is more on flytraps than it is on other plants...Cal Carn doesn't have as intenes of focus on flytraps being as they offer most all the other types of carnivorous plants, too. But, like I said before, Cal Carn is a reputable seller. Also, there are people in this forum that sell some nice quality plants, too.
* #6 - If they're potted and looking good I wouldn't be in a rush. They're going to be stressed out from shipping and repotting would further stress them. I mean, if the media looks good, the plant looks good, and it's not in a shot-glass sized pot I'd let it settle in for a while before doing anything...even letting it go through dormancy and repotting just before it starts waking up in the early spring...that would stress it the least.
* #7 - I have no idea.
* #8 - I didn't look at the shelves you listed, but all of your plants should be fine and healthy on them...until they're not. The mention of animals is indeed a concern, but a shelf that is raised above ground isn't going to help much. Animals...squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, rats (yeah, nobody likes to admit that they're around...but they are), feral cats, birds, etc., can easily CLIMB or FLY IN. Unless the shelf is completely covered in mesh wire they will not be protected. Squirrels are the #1 terrorist of the carnivorous plant hobby. Squirrels *always* think they buried an acorn in the flytrap pots. Also, many of the critters will hunt for water by digging in your pristine pot of giant flytraps (a good thing to do is to leave a bowl of water sitting among the plants for easy "drinking"). Not trying to throw a damper on things, just giving you a heads'up. Search the forum...lots of talk about varmints, especially the tree rats.
* #9 - If you walk up and see that your flytrap has "eaten" something how are you going to know what it was to know if it's poisonous? And, if you did know it was poisonous, would you simply pry the leaf open, most likely damaging it, or would you let nature (that old nature thing's been working for a long time) take care of things. Also, in regards to the size of bugs...it is usually recommended that if you feed a bug to a flytrap it should only be about 1/4 the size of the leaf/trap. As for the size that they catch on their own...they're hardheaded and don't pay attention to recommendations...sometimes it works out for them when they clamp down on a big bug...sometimes it doesn't and the trap dies. Again...nature. As for any bugs that might be toxic to flytraps...I dunno.
* #10 - A few tips... Don't overwater the flytraps. Don't let the flytraps dry out. If you walk out and you see that some cute squirrel has dug up your fantastic-looking flytrap...replant it. Check the seed bank out here on the forum...instructions on using it are at the bottom of the inventory post...the cost is two envelopes and two stamps for a request of seeds. And above all else...enjoy and have fun with the hobby (otherwise, what's the purpose?). ;)

I guess I felt a bit wordy this morning...usually I'm a very quiet guy. No need to apologize for asking questions, though I've never asked any in the forum, myself. :roll: :mrgreen:

Enjoy your plants and have fun!
By sswitzer7198
Your answers were extremely helpful, thank you so much!! The only other question I have is do I need to use pest control on my flytraps and if so would this be used in the spring and summer?

Thank you!
By Intheswamp
Unless your yard/garden is prone to having large infestations of pests I wouldn't do any preventive treatment. If you notice something going on...bugs crawling around on the plants, plants having spots on them, etc., then you might need to treat. I saw your other posts regarding pests and it looks like you got some good feedback there. Bayer 3-in-1 and Captain Jacks Dead-Bug are often recommended. Best wishes, you're doing good and your plants will, too! :D

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.co[…]

on another division with one short root, all the l[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!