FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I've got three or four pots of filiformis that apparently have already gone dormant and they've been that way a few weeks now. It seems the final door closing was when we had a cold spell come through and knocked the temperatures down slightly below freezing for one night. But, as I recall they were already dying back. These include florida red white flower, tracyi, and a small pot of florida giant x tracyi (still a touch of green in it). Is it time for them to be taking a nap? Conversely, I've got a planter of florida giant x tracyi clones indoors that is basically a half-and-half of brown and green leaves...it's photoperiod has not changed. Can I take this as being that the outside plants are cueing off of a decreasing photoperiod?
By Panman
Filiformis and dormancy, to me, are flaky. Some tuck it in early based on the light levels while others wait to be hit with cold weather. It is definitely not too early for them to start napping, though.
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the feedback, Panman. It just seemed strange that the "dormancy" came on so quickly and across a few pots of different varieties. I'll be moving these into the cool room at the trailer.

Another question... Do most people trim off the dried leaves or leave them to support the young leaves of next year?
By Panman
The short answer is, "Yes." :D I tend to leave the dead leaves thinking it will provide some protection against the freezing winds. Others trim them for better air flow. I don't know that it makes a difference other than aesthetically.
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm The short answer is, "Yes." :D I tend to leave the dead leaves thinking it will provide some protection against the freezing winds. Others trim them for better air flow. I don't know that it makes a difference other than aesthetically.
You ever been to Uganda? :lol: Back in 2019, in a hot, hot July, we went on a mission trip to Uganda. It took us a day or so to somewhat wrap our head around a response that we would get to questions that had two or more answers to them. We could ask whether it would be hot or cool tomorrow, after a short consideration by one of the locals that traveled with us they would give us a knowing "Yes" for an answer. :) Will we go to the orphanage or to the school tomorrow....."Yes". Can we pet that dog or will it bite us....."Yes". :lol: We just referred to it as the "Ugandan way". :D We brought the method of answering back to the states with us...talk about confusing some people!!!! :lol:

Those were some wonderful folks that took care of us while we were there, hated to leave them, such honest, innocent people. We were very impressed with the people...."Yes!". :D

As for the filiformis, I'll be overwintering them in the trailer (cold end of it) so I may go ahead and trim them back a bit.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
I was told to clip the brown and leave anything green. I guess it is mostly a personal preference. I am not leaving mine out in the elements this year so I am giving everyone haircuts and cleaning up their living quarters and then putting in garage. I was going to wait until Thanksgiving weekend but we had a couple of really nasty days and I am impatient so I started this past weekend. I will say it is a lot of work. About half way through I had to stop to pot up my newest additions. I have another 7 plants showing up today and tomorrow that I need to pot up and get outside for a couple of weeks so as not to shock them too much.
By Intheswamp
You know, if you don't quit getting new plants you ain't gonna get'em all inside before winter! :lol: I agree, trimming is mostly a personal preference. I like to replicate nature a little bit, so I might leave them "unruly". ;)
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:10 pm You know, if you don't quit getting new plants you ain't gonna get'em all inside before winter! :lol:
I know, but there are so many great deals out there. To make it even more interesting, MikeB keeps sending me links to deal and sales :D . I had to force myself off of eBay just this morning. I told my wife a couple weeks ago, "No more plant purchases until Spring time". Well, that lasted all of 2 days. :D :D :D
By MikeB
All of my threadleaf sundews (D. filiformis var. filiformis, tracyi, 'Creamsicle', 'Dreamsicle') have already packed it in for the winter. I recently sheared their "bad hair day" look and left just the hibernacula.
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
If my hair had this many knots in it, I would have no other choice but to shear it off and start over.
New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

Hello from New England

Welcome

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome forum a fellow noob!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!