FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PalmettoLand
What insecticides are safe to use to treat the soil of carnivorous plants. (Not fungus gnats)

As a reference: Recently while unpotting some plants I had in a bog garden (large plastic pot) I discovered an active colony of small, young termites. The plants do not seems to be harmed, but clearly I want the problem eradicated in that pot and potentially any other pot I have nearby but leave the plants as unharmed as possible.
By Panman
I don't know that Captain Jack's works on ants. For ants, and I would think termites, I submerge the entire plant, pitchers and all in water for 3 or 4 days. I take it out and let it drain a day or two and then repeat as necessary. For my 15 gallon bog containers, I plug the drainage holes and flood the entire bog for 3 or 4 days. Daily I use a spray of water to wash away any ants that have climbed above the water surface.

I will tell you, if the pots are on soil then you will need to relocate them or they will just get reinfested.
optique, wcrosman, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By Intheswamp
When I was growing a few vegetables in large pots I would get ants (we have a bad argentine ant problem around here) in the pots. I tried to figure a way of keeping the ants out but not getting the poison in the pot since it was edibles that I was growing. I thought about it a while and discovered a strategy that works well. I had some old ~1/2" thick foam pads that link together for kids play pads or exercise mats. I sprayed these with Ortho's "Home Defense" bug spray that comes in the gallon jugs and has a sprayer (battery or hand pump) attached. The poison would soak in slightly and coat the foam very nicely. It created a barrier that the ant's refused to cross, kind of a "no ants zone"...and I didn't have bug spray in my vegetables. It worked good for me. And, as an added benefit, for people living in hot areas the pads do a nice job of insulating the pots from whatever heatsink they may be sitting on.
Panman, andynorth, MikeB liked this
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote: It created a barrier that the ant's refused to cross, kind of a "no ants zone"...and I didn't have bug spray in my vegetables. It worked good for me. And, as an added benefit, for people living in hot areas the pads do a nice job of insulating the pots from whatever heatsink they may be sitting on.
This is brilliant. I may be doing this next season.
Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Two issues. The only filiformis var Floridana we h[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!