FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By heywhathuh
Hello all, I live in Southern Connecticut (zone 6b) and am wondering what to do with my purpurea and cobra lily seeds. I sowed them about a month or two ago (after stratifying them first.) The pots are currently still sitting in plastic bags to increase humidity. I've yet to see any signs of germination.

Should I just leave the pots on the windowsill, and keep hoping, or move them outside and let the natural temperature fluctuations give them a hand?

Thanks
By steve booth
It may well be too cold outside for the Darlingtonia but the purpurea may be OK. If they haven't germinated yet they should be due any time now, I would be inclined to keep them indoors this year to get an early start, but remove the bag!
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By heywhathuh
Ok, I will probably keep them indoors then, and start easing them out of the bag so I don't accidentally shock any seedlings I might not able to see yet.

I planted them on top of a layer of shredded living sphagnum moss, and that is starting to grow up to about an inch tall now, should I trim it back to decrease competition for light?

Thanks
By steve booth
Ahh Sphagnum has a habit of doing that! Seedlings need light as much as possible especially if you are germinTing in the low light dormant season, so yes, if you can remove the growing tips without pulling everything out of the pot please do so. If you can't then don't worry too much, the seeds will germinate and grow green and leggy but will survive, eventually you will be able to punk them out. I have had Darlingtonia seeds grow in Sphagnum that eventually outgrew the growing moss.
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this

What recommendations do you have for types of li[…]

Get a report from the water company to see if it h[…]

If you didn't get it sold to you as a B52 then it […]

is this normal for a d capensis?

That's interesting. I haven't seen or heard of a s[…]

So sorry for the delay, this completely slipped my[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!