FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By PitBulMom
My nickname is PitBulMom, and I just got a Venus Flytrap as a gift from my Hubby!
I want to learn how to get this baby to thrive! (He saw this at Walmart and thought I would like it. :)
Any help will be very much appreciated!
We live in Southern Utah, near Mesquite NV, so it can get hot in the summer and is kind of a dry climate. It will probably be kept in the house if that helps. It is in a plastic tube type container, and I am worried about transplanting. I have Miricle Grow potting soil, please let me know if I can plant it in that type of potting mix.

Thanks !!

PitBulMom :D
By ice2k15
yeah miracle grow soil will kill it as will tap water...ul need som sphagnum moss or peat moss perlite and silica sand as the media for it and distilled, reverse osmosis (like water that drips from window ac) or rain water. vfts need plenty direct sun light (5-6 hrs minimum) no fertilizer ever (will kill it)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
By PitBulMom
Thanks guys!
I started reading the other sections and found out a lot of the questions answers. (facepalm)
I guess I will be ordering some supplies when I get paid!
Thanks for your help!

Sending Pibble Hugs!
PitBulMom
By PitBulMom
Hi Guys! TThanks for the help! So far my VFT seems to be doing pretty good It has actually has trapped a couple fly! (one did escape, it didn't catch the whole fly)
My concern now is water. We go shopping only once a month, and it is going to be at least one more week before that happens. Our Park waters the lawns with Irrigation water directly from the Virgin River. I had to have some water, so what I did was turn on the sprinklers and put a clean container out and collected about a 1/2 cup of that. I took that water and ran it through a "filter of 3 coffee filters, and 2 paper towels just to catch as many solids as I could. I then put it in a glass bottle with a dropper and have given the plant about 2 full droppers full every other day just to keep moisture in the medium it is planted in. (I guess it is from a place called Rocket Farms) SO far, I don't see any harm.
I have been checking the weather, and we aren't going to see any rain for maybe another week or so. I have been keeping it outside, so it will go dormant in season. So far we had a few night time lows of 47 degrees, but, last night it was in the 50's. When it starts really dropping into the 20's and 30's and maybe even lower, As it does drop lower, should I maybe wrap maybe in some bubble wrap? (Don't really get into the 20's to 30's till late November, early December) My USDA area on the map seems to be in 8b.
I know I am being a PITA, but just trying to do this right.:)
By evenwind
An alternative to distilled/rain/RO water:
http://zerowater.com/
As far as I know, it's the only brand of household water filter that actually gets the ppm down to 0.

According to the ZeroWater site, the ppm in Mesquite is around 464. The highest the EPA recommends for drinking water is 500. Be very careful using any tap water at all.
By PitBulMom
The irregation water actually doesn't go thru out water system. So far, they seem to be doing ok. Must be hungry, I have it sitting on the cinderblocks that hold up my rail fence and it caught 4 ants! Just need to get that Distilled water and Long fiber Spag!
:)
By avadakedavra
Hi, I'm from Japan.
I know Utah's tap water is too hard for VFT.

Can you get bottled water ?
Some bottled water is hard water. But you can find soft water in Amazon or Walmart.

for example

CRYSTALGEYSER hardness 38
Volvic hardness 60
Ice field hardness 27.5

I use tap water for VFT, cuz around my house water hardness is soft enough (about 80 or so)

check the hardness of bottled water on internet.
You may find soft water .

https://www.amazon.com/ICEFIELD-ice-fie ... B00T43DDJY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hi: im feedmesemore

thank you!

quick question: do you order from etsy shop and ho[…]

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!