FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Pretty much every time I receive a new plant that has to be moved to my standard medium, I wind up with broken or removed leaves. As a matter of course, I stick the leaves in a pot of NZS and see what happens. Sometimes nothing grows, mostly I get a strike or two but I've realized that the pots that fill up with strikes tend to be emarginata hybrids. I don't know if this holds true for everybody - that emarginata is particularly easy to grow this way - but I thought I'd put it out there as general info. Maybe it'll help a first timer decide which ping to try propagate...

(The pink ones are agnata "ekuma" x emarginata, the others are emarginata x jaumavensis)
Attachments:
P9070647.JPG
P9070647.JPG (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
evenwind liked this
By thatonechick371
I have successfully propagated 2 plants in about 6 weeks from my Bugbane (P. gigantea x moranensis) in the same way. 2 out of about 10 isn't bad! Right? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
Try placing them on a substrate better suited to Mexican Pings (mostly mineral, like 1 part each sand, perlite, pumice and peat; some add arcillite and or a little dolomite too) and I bet you'll get a better strike rate. Make sure the base of the leaf is touching but not buried in the substrate. Dormant leaves are easier, especially just at the time that plants are breaking dormancy, but you can really do it almost any time of year. I don't cover dormant leaves; if using carnivorous leaves I'll partially cover them to keep a little more humidity in, but if it's wet-humid that will almost always end in rot. I've tried vermiculite for pullings too; initially it seemed good but the actual survival and development of baby plants was always better on a Ping medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
Those are awesome!

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!