FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rammplins
Hey everyone, just making sure my plant is gonna be alright, its only pitcher has started to tale a turn for the worst. He has had this pitcher for about 3 months, so im guessing its just an old pitcher dying. I would just like to be sure.Image

Also are these 2 new growth points?
Last edited by Rammplins on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By xr280xr
It doesn't look too good to me. I wouldn't expect an old pitcher to die off without it putting out some new ones first. Ceph pitchers can last a long time too. What are its growing conditions including media types?
By Rammplins
I got him potted, i believe the media is a mix of peat and lfsm, plus some lfsm plugs after some heavy winds knocked him over. For the past 2 weeks he has been in my grow tent under 600w leds with thr day temp in the low 80's and a night temp of around 70. I'm currently waiting on a humidity sensor, so i dont know it for sure, but prob around 20%. I am also waiting on another fan and cooler for the tent, so soon temps can drop more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
Also i just looked in the pitcher and it seems he caught a couple little sometings. What they are i dunno, prob fungus gnats. but could that be part of the problem?

By Hungry Plants
Might be the LFS. The person that sent me mine gave me a mix recipe of 70/30 sand and peat.
By Rammplins
So when the pitcher is almost completely black should I cut it off and repot, or should I wait to repot until I start to put it into dormancy since we are not that far away form that time? When I do I plan on making the media 50% lfsm, 30% perlite, and 20% silica sand, then topping the pot with sand.
And I didn't take a pic yet but within the last 2 days it has shot up a new non-pitcher leaf, so at least when it looses the pitcher it can get some photosynthesis.
By Rammplins
The black is spreading fairly quick, it will probably be time to cut the pitcher off when I get home today. I want to make sure the repot is necessary, I don't want to put such a little plant through something that stressful. If it is though I will start mixing the media and repot tomorrow. I just need a little bit of direction, thank you everyone!
By xr280xr
I don't know if a repot is necessary. I don't know much about ceph health. They can grow well in 100% LFS, but are also commonly grown in a grittier peat mix. Peat + LFS seems like it would be even denser than just LFS so maybe that's an issue, but I don't know. I'm glad it put up a new leaf so it can at least keep making energy for itself when that pitcher dies. Was this a fairly new cutting - is that why it only had 1 pitcher? 20% humidity is very dry. Most plants would probably appreciate higher humidity than that, but my cephs seem to especially like above average humidity (60%+).
xr280xr liked this
By Rammplins
Gotcha, ill cut the pitcher off and wait to see what he does. I don't' know exactly how old it is, but I know the cutting was taken early this year. I'm guessing around 8 months old, maybe more. When I first got him it had 1 pitcher larger that this one, and the one you see was a tiny little pea. Unfortunately I snapped the big one off while opening the package in my excitement and it fell right into the leaf littler trash. Also I am probably way off on the humidity, he shares a tank with some sundews and all of them are super dewy. I don't have a lid for it but the bottom has about an inch of water, then some knex for a scaffold, followed by about an inch of lfsm which I try to keep at that perfect "not wet but damp" wetness.
By Nauz
Leave it as is, keep giving it proper conditions. The growth is green with maybe some formic acid building up on the hairs from the peat. That will clear up eventually or the crown will be high enough up it won't build on the hairs anymore. Try flushing the medium out with lost of distilled water might help with that as well.
By Rammplins
Thank you. He has been flushed, and is going back in his normal spot. I'll keep and extra close eye on him

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!