FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By moonnelumbo
It has already been shown that the occurrence of Cephalotus varies with temperature. I am now focusing on soil nutrition, not temperature. The best way to get accurate figures is to use hydroponics. I have seen some people cultivate Cephalotus hydroponically. However it does not show the correct way, so it is difficult to experiment. I am also afraid that the roots of Cephalotus will rot if there is a lot of water.
Really there is no wat to grow Cephalotus hydroponics?
By Rammplins
Hmmm, I dunno. I'm newer to cephs, so my experience is lacking. I do believe that they don't like constantly sitting in water, so if you did do hydro then you would want to have the water drain from the growing portion at least once a day for about 30 min (educated guess). Have you thought about aeroponics instead?
By slinx
I have no idea, but please give it a try with some smaller plants. The more people do crazy experiments, the more knowledgeable we'll all get. The good thing is you'll notice if anything goes wrong because there's no soil blocking your view!
Rammplins wrote:if you did do hydro then you would want to have the water drain from the growing portion at least once a day for about 30 min (educated guess)
That isn't how plants work.
By tannerm
For what it’s worth, I’ve let my cephs (plural because mine has divided a number of times now) in water pretty frequently as of late. I use great white to help protect it from potential rot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
Personally, I think Cephalotus' senstivity to wet conditions is a result of skipping winter dormancy, rather than a trait of the plant. I know someone who keeps his plants sitting in water for 9 months out of the year and has even had new growth points form underwater, but the plants experience a full UK winter every year.
By Rammplins
slinx wrote:Rammplins wrote:if you did do hydro then you would want to have the water drain from the growing portion at least once a day for about 30 min (educated guess)That isn't how plants work.
I was just saying that so that the plants wouldn't be sitting in water 24/7 as I thought that was bad for cephs. But it is seemimg like that is another one of those widely spread rumors.

Also what is great white? I looked it up and i'm still not exactly sure, is it a fertilizer + beneficial fungi type of thing?
By KategoricalKarnivore
Rammplins wrote: Also what is great white? I looked it up and i'm still not exactly sure, is it a fertilizer + beneficial fungi type of thing?
Yep that's it. Beneficial fungus.
By nimbulan
Rammplins wrote:Also what is great white? I looked it up and i'm still not exactly sure, is it a fertilizer + beneficial fungi type of thing?
Great white is a mycorrhizae / trichoderma product. It's basically symbiotic fungus (I think there's some bacteria in there too) that helps protect plant roots from disease, and can assist with nutrient uptake as well. It only works with plants that naturally have fungal associations though. It's commonly used with Heliamphora and Cephalotus and may benefit other pitcher plants, though it's useless with other types of carnivores.
nimbulan, nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By heywhathuh
nimbulan wrote:It's commonly used with Heliamphora and Cephalotus and may benefit other pitcher plants, though it's useless with other types of carnivores.
How sure are you that it does not benefit any other CP?

I ask because I remember Joseph Clemens, a very respected Ping grower, using a similar product (or maybe even the exact same one, my memory is failing me) in all his Ping mixes to minimize the chances of crown/root rot.
By nimbulan
heywhathuh wrote:
nimbulan wrote:It's commonly used with Heliamphora and Cephalotus and may benefit other pitcher plants, though it's useless with other types of carnivores.
How sure are you that it does not benefit any other CP?

I ask because I remember Joseph Clemens, a very respected Ping grower, using a similar product (or maybe even the exact same one, my memory is failing me) in all his Ping mixes to minimize the chances of crown/root rot.
These types of fungi have a symbiotic relationship with plants. They grow around the roots, protecting the plant from pathogens and potentially providing nutrients as well. This will only happen with plants that have natural fungal associations, and the fungus simply will not grow if an appropriate plant is not present.
nimbulan liked this
By heywhathuh
Have you seen this study?:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 011-0795-5

I'm not willing to drop the 40$ required to see the whole thing, but the abstract appears to suggest D. rotundifolia and P. vulgaris may have this natural fungal association, does it not? Although I have also seen sources saying Pings and Sars are strictly NM, so it appears that there are differing opinions (or I read that abstract wrong, I've yet to have my coffee)

Cheers
By slinx
heywhathuh wrote:Have you seen this study?:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 011-0795-5

I'm not willing to drop the 40$ required to see the whole thing, but the abstract appears to suggest D. rotundifolia and P. vulgaris may have this natural fungal association, does it not? Although I have also seen sources saying Pings and Sars are strictly NM, so it appears that there are differing opinions (or I read that abstract wrong, I've yet to have my coffee)

Cheers
Here's the full article, it's actually not much longer than the abstract (don't worry, the link is safe): https://a.pomf.cat/wjobcm.pdf
slinx liked this
Hi from FNQ.

I've been keeping all types of CP's for most of th[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Hi from MD!

Hi, I’ve grown vfts on and off since the 198[…]

Trying My Hand With TC

Hi. I'm on the same road as you, to learn TC. Whic[…]

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Boy this is hard work

It's been almost a year since I've really interact[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!