FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By slinx
Is there really no dew at all? In the first picture, on the three newest leaves I do see what looks like small droplets of dew on all tentacles. It's normal for the old leaves to lose their dew as they're dying off, and especially the leaves it had before it was shipped to you will usually never produce dew again, because the tentacles are very fragile and really dislike being packaged up in a bag. In any case, at a relatively low humidity level (but average for a normal house), the droplets are never going to be huge. A few other species like Drosera capensis and regia do manage to put out some pretty big drops regardless of the humidity, but for most sundews you have to get up close and personal to see the sparkles.
slinx liked this
By Nightwing42540
slinx wrote:Is there really no dew at all? In the first picture, on the three newest leaves I do see what looks like small droplets of dew on all tentacles. It's normal for the old leaves to lose their dew as they're dying off, and especially the leaves it had before it was shipped to you will usually never produce dew again, because the tentacles are very fragile and really dislike being packaged up in a bag. In any case, at a relatively low humidity level (but average for a normal house), the droplets are never going to be huge. A few other species like Drosera capensis and regia do manage to put out some pretty big drops regardless of the humidity, but for most sundews you have to get up close and personal to see the sparkles.
Update: Little to no dew, should I try to put it in a bag to increase the humidity?
Also I repotted after this picture

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By Nightwing42540
This is the windowsill I have it onImage

By Fishkeeper
Yes, you should bag it. Place a bag loosely over the pot so that there's some air exchange and see if that helps at all.
By Nightwing42540
Fishkeeper wrote:Yes, you should bag it. Place a bag loosely over the pot so that there's some air exchange and see if that helps at all.
Like this? Thanks for the help!Image

By slinx
Fishkeeper wrote:Yes, you should bag it. Place a bag loosely over the pot so that there's some air exchange and see if that helps at all.
No, that's terrible advice and only worsens the problem. If the goal is to keep the bag on forever, it'll 'fix' the problem (and due to the permanent condensation, you'll never be able to see the plant), but the plant won't magically create bigger droplets after being in a ~100% humidity environment for a while. It just doesn't work like this. If a plant doesn't like the environment it's growing in, it will never like it, not even if you slowly ease it into it. If you put your hand on a furnace and slowly increase the temperature, you're still getting burned in the end.

Nightwing42540, is the plant growing at all? You need to give it more water, the top strands of moss are all dried out. The windowsill also looks pretty dark, and dew production is largely influenced by the amount of light they get.
By Nightwing42540
slinx wrote:
No, that's terrible advice and only worsens the problem. If the goal is to keep the bag on forever, it'll 'fix' the problem (and due to the permanent condensation, you'll never be able to see the plant), but the plant won't magically create bigger droplets after being in a ~100% humidity environment for a while. It just doesn't work like this. If a plant doesn't like the environment it's growing in, it will never like it, not even if you slowly ease it into it. If you put your hand on a furnace and slowly increase the temperature, you're still getting burned in the end.

Nightwing42540, is the plant growing at all? You need to give it more water, the top strands of moss are all dried out. The windowsill also looks pretty dark, and dew production is largely influenced by the amount of light they get.
The picture was taken late in the afternoon and yes the plant is growing.

By Nightwing42540
I really don't know what to do, I'm sitting in the dark. Any help would be appreciated

By Fishman
Adelae grow very well for me in my conditions. As far as bagging goes, it helps plants overcome initial shock after being freshly transplanted, or having the roots disturbed. I wouldn't leave the plant bagged for more than a few days (maybe a week or so) if you have messed with the plant and disturbed it, I'd say do it. If not then don't. If you do bag it, it needs plenty of ventilation while in the bag. Not giving it proper ventilation will encourage mold to appear on the plant and surrounding soil. Cut a couple of small holes in the bag to give it fresh air during this period of time. Your plant does not appear to require a bag at this particular time from what I can see. These are rainforest type tropical plants that appreciate warmer temps, wet/moist soil at all times and bright full indirect, or partially direct light, slightly elevated humidity if given higher temps. If you're keeping your room at 75F then theres not much reason to greatly raise the humidity. Just give it plenty of water, and light. Another thing about these, is they dont too much like being moved around a lot. Keep it in place, give it the same conditions everyday and it will begin to perk up. Look at the tentacles up close. Are they pale or almost clear/transparent looking? Thats a good sign they need more light. Give it more light. These plants will not usually display huge globs of mucillage compared to many drosera species even when happy, but you will know they are happy when you see a pinkish tint to the tentacles with little specks of mucilage. Best thing of all, when they appear to have died, theyre usually sending runners out under the soil. Patiently wait and you may find in a few weeks time new little plantlets growing from them. They really are hardy plants.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
I've found the most important factor in dew production is to be light. I was growing a large tray full of weed grown "weeds" (capensis, spatulata, burmanii, etc. I was growing them in a windowsill, and they were producing little dew. I moved them under a marshydro, and lol and behold, they dewed up.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!