FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By mistyamh
I got this from a store and I've had it about 2 weeks done a lot of research i fed it baby crickets and they were very small. Ehat should I do now that some of my traps are dying, when should and how should I remove them? And how do I make sure my plant continues to live and grow more. I had just transplanted before and after so you can see the traps and some new growth. Thank you all.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
By Sukielol
I am also a bit of a noob myself but this is what I can tell you. If you just now transplanted it, give it a few days to adjust to its new environment. Keep a eye on it to see if it stops getting worse. Make sure it gets lots of sunlight and don't worry too much on feeding it. In fact, I would try to avoid feeding it if it's still getting worse. The black leaves should be ignored since there's basically no chance of them surviving. Your plant may be sacrificing those leaves to save energy for itself as it may be sick or suffering from some kind of shock. Speaking of shock, don't expect immediate results of the plant getting better as you changing the container may have giving it a root transplant shock. Can I ask you what water your using? What kind of soil is in the container? Did you wash out that container?
By mistyamh
I washed out the contained using distilled water. I bought soil from the place that sells the plants and washed the soil itself out 4 times with distilled water as it said. They started to die after I fed them. And i just changed it today and they've been dying for about a week or so.

By mistyamh
But i also have a good amount of new growth and I keep the soil damp not wet or dry

By riveraXVX
what is the soil you used? name/brand? where from? what does it have in it?
By Sukielol
mistyamh wrote:I bought soil from the place that sells the plants and washed the soil itself out 4 times with distilled water as it said. They started to die after I fed them. And i just changed it today and they've been dying for about a week or so.
Is this soil normal garden soil you use for all gardens? Or is this peat/sphagnum moss? Tell me the name or brand and check the ingredients. If there's something like chemicals and fertilizer, you should get your plant out of that soil.
By saltyop
one thing I wanna mention is the sunlight, flytraps love sunlight but its a store bought so you might want to acclimate it to the sun over time, 30 mins to as much direct sun in the course of a week to a month.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Hi from MD!

Hi, I’ve grown vfts on and off since the 198[…]

Trying My Hand With TC

Hi. I'm on the same road as you, to learn TC. Whic[…]

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Boy this is hard work

It's been almost a year since I've really interact[…]

Kinetin va BAP

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BAP in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!