FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
Hi everyone! I am a person who has always had a fascination for venus flytraps, but only got into venus flytraps community here recently, and ive come to ask questions about whether im caring for my venus flytrap correctly.

I have started with purchasing a venus flytrap that i have purchased fairly recently back in february from a nearby bunnings in kingsgrove, and i thought it was natural to start with the smaller, cheaper, venus flytraps there before advancing to the other larger species like B-52 and DC-XL

Btw I am in Australia, meaning it is almost spring here in advance for september, and now, im going to talk about a few things I noticed on my plant. Im not sure if my plant sounds healthy, and would like to know what you think.

As expected due to dormancy, many of the older traps have died out. However, many new ones have been growing in their places. I have noticed that my venus flytrap (previously one plant) has divided into three via vegetative propagation. The traps are still not responsive (dont bite) and im not sure if theyll wake up in september (worrying). I have been giving my flytrap the same care as summer, except with less demineralised water and sunlight (approx 1 hour). I will be repotting them in spring with peat moss and perlite :)

However, I am not sure when the flower will grow. My cousin purchased his venus flytraps after i did and his one is already growing a flower. Maybe its because my plant hasnt matured yet? If so, how long does it take to fully mature? does this fluctuate between different species?

If anyone could kindly point out anything im doing wrong with the care ive given for my venus flytrap, I would gladly like to know. Thanks! :D
By steve booth
Many commercially available VFTs are produced by issue culture, to minimise reproductive periods, which tends to give them an early growth spurt, potentially forming many new plants. It sometimes takes a couple of years for the plants to sort themselves out when in a ‘normal’ growing medium, so don’t worry about the divisions that are growing.

If your plant is dormant the traps either will operate very slowly, or not at all, so again I wouldn’t worry. How have you induced dormancy in Australia with your plant, with just photoperiod reduction or temperature reduction too?

If your cousins plant is flowering it isn’t dormant, yours may well flower once it starts growing but not until late spring/early summer. Did he get his at the same time as you? As you are aware plants will only flower when mature, however buying it from a shop you will have no idea how old it is but for commercial reasons it will be sold as soon as it can be reasonably expected to survive on its own.

Cheers
Steve
Nepenthes Repotting

Nepenthes are pretty much epiphytes and don't get […]

howdy!

I have lots of experience with agar so I want[…]

LazyDaisy's Grow List

Dionaea muscipula Typical (Rocket Farms) Ty[…]

Ahhh, it's just Yogi looking for BooBoo.

McCWells Grow List

Update : Sarracenia Hybrid #3 - American Pitcher […]

Evolving plants!

Plants evolving into CPs... My water lettuce kille[…]

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com[…]

Since they have shallow roots, I just use a plas[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!