FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DanF2000
http://imgur.com/a/xFhuL

So I've left these outside for a couple days now and in the UK, we've been getting quite a bit of rain, some sun yesterday and Monday and a majority of the time, clouds. I've been checking on them everyday and my dad said yesterday they aren't looking as well as they did when I bought them, which I think so too. They kinda look slightly pale, with a slight yellow/green colouring rather than bright green with red veins. Is there anything I need to worry about concerning these or is it alright to keep them outside? Also, tomorrow forecasts say there'll be winds of 39 mph so should I bring them in for weather like that? And finally, might these problems be due to the pot not having drainage holes? I don't want to take the whole plant out in case all the liquid from the traps come out, but I also don't want to ruin the roots... Thanks in advance!
By neville3970
HI

Your plants looks normal, you can see by your picture the your plant is producing new growth .
i would definitely repot your plant into another pot with drainage hole
repotting will not affect the plant ,when repotting try to leave as much moss attached as possible
if you do not repot this will cause your plant to rot due to not having drainage holes

also clay pot absorb minerals, which will be no good to the health of your plant

the liquid inside the pitcher is rain water
carnivorous plant digestive system does not produce that much liquid it only a coats inside the pitcher with
a thin coating
By steve booth
I second Neville3970 analysis.
1) The clay pot will leach minerals which can kill the plants, you can see that it is doing it already, its that white fuzzy white stuff on the outside of the pot.
2) Although the plants are bog plants, they need oxygen to the roots, an undrained pot that is largely full of water for days on end, will stop oxygen to the roots and cause its decline or even go anaerobic. An inch or so of standing water in a tray or similar is ideal.
3)That plant will be fine outside till winter, it depends on how cold and windy it gets by you as to whether you can keep it outside all year round, but you should be able to, I do in Bham UK
4) If you repot and the fluid comes out the traps, no worries, it looks like a S. purpurea hybrid and a psittacina, the purpurea will need a little rainwater in it to digest the prey, thats why they have the lids skywards to let rain in, you can refill with rainwater if necessary, The psittacina will be OK.
5) Wind isnt a problem they are outside in all conditions in the wild, the worst that can happen is that a pitcher with a lot of fluid in will blow over, you can put stakes and string round to prevent this if you want.
6) if you have just put them outside into the sun having just bought them, the chances are that it has been grown inside and is now acclimating to the sunlight hence the change in hue. you may find the leaves suffer for a while but the plant will be fine and will give you better colours outside in the sun.
Good luck with your new plants
Steve
steve booth liked this
My biggest Sarracenia

Don't you just love how there's always at least on[…]

Red meat viability claims

[/quote] I agree and disagree with you. The polit[…]

howdy!

Welcome to the funny farm. I mean, forum. For some[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks like a Anole. How can you tell? I don'[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!