FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
So I got this big orchid a few days ago and I really don't know much about them. I have another one that I've had a few months and it is growing well so I think my conditions are good. I've noticed on this new one all the growth on the leaf since I've had it is very red. I'm wondering if this is normal or if it is something I should be concerned about. Here are a few pics of the plant. It's right at 2 feet tall and flowers are 5 inches across.
Attachments:
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (457.63 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG (394.81 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG (526.07 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
By FLTropical
That's a nice one! That red color is the same sort of flush our carnivores get when they are getting max light. It's a very good sign. I wouldn't give it any more light though. Phals don't need much - I have some that are in deep shade and still turn a tad bit red.

There is another red color they can get too, that indicates magnesium deficiency, especially after exposure to colder temps. Given that this is on the new growth, and has that line to it (probably marking growth since you got it) - this isn't that kind of red.
FLTropical liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Ok thanks. Yeah I have it directly under the light on my grow rack. I guess I'll move it to the end where the light is a little less. It was the biggest one at Walmart. $10. I couldn't pass it up sitting there with all the pretty little colorful ones looking huge and outcast with no color.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!