FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Normally these are just the plain green ones, but there were a couple of really nice ones that I took home with me- this one, and another one that has a green lip around the inside of a bright red trap with even longer teeth. I didn't think to take a picture of the other one before repotting it, though. They both don't look very happy right now, I'll update this when they settle in.

I know this can't be given a cultivar name because it was unlabeled, but does anyone want to take a guess at what it might have been? I promise not to label the plant anything other than "really nice typical", I'm only trying to figure out how this ended up among a batch of spindly green plants. Is it an amount of variation that's possible between seed-growns?
By MrSleeves
The is a nice one! I'll admit, and can't be the only one but I notice myself picking out the odd ones when I see them no matter how many I already have. Lol.
Is it possible this one just happend to be one that got a ton of sun and reddened it up a bit?
By Fishkeeper
I don't think it just got some extra sun. The others were all small, spindly plants with very small teeth. I've gotten a few of those in the past, and even under bright lights they don't look like this- they have proportionately smaller traps with small teeth, and develop a more pinkish-red color with a bit of orange. Nice, but not especially striking. I have a 4" tall one that just barely has traps as large as these guys.
This one has comparatively massive traps on fairly narrow leaves, long teeth with lots of color, and is dark red, excluding the pale traps that I think grew more recently. I'm really excited to see what they look like once they start putting on new growth, and I'm quite certain they're at least slightly different from the others. If anything, they look more like the wild plants- maybe it's a slight regression towards the original parents, before the wholesaler bred them for durability?

I potted them both up properly, and I have them under my growlight, with a paper towel loosely draped over them so they hopefully don't burn. I want them to keep those gorgeous traps, so I'm going to try to acclimate them, just in case they'd been in the shade for awhile.
By riveraXVX
compared to the exact same companies same flytraps I rescued from our hardware store here in a couple weeks ago wow what a difference!!! haha

those are awesome!
By uusa2000
Fishkeeper wrote:I don't think it just got some extra sun. The others were all small, spindly plants with very small teeth. I've gotten a few of those in the past, and even under bright lights they don't look like this- they have proportionately smaller traps with small teeth, and develop a more pinkish-red color with a bit of orange. Nice, but not especially striking. I have a 4" tall one that just barely has traps as large as these guys.
This one has comparatively massive traps on fairly narrow leaves, long teeth with lots of color, and is dark red, excluding the pale traps that I think grew more recently. I'm really excited to see what they look like once they start putting on new growth, and I'm quite certain they're at least slightly different from the others. If anything, they look more like the wild plants- maybe it's a slight regression towards the original parents, before the wholesaler bred them for durability?

I potted them both up properly, and I have them under my growlight, with a paper towel loosely draped over them so they hopefully don't burn. I want them to keep those gorgeous traps, so I'm going to try to acclimate them, just in case they'd been in the shade for awhile.
Have you used artificial lighting before?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
The growlight is a fairly recent addition, but all my plants are loving it.

I used the paper towel as a shield because, when I first added the light, the VFTs I had at the time all got some minor burn damage. It's 5" above them, but it's not a heat issue, they just 'sun'burned. Didn't want these guys to do the same.

Update: left them shielded for a couple of days, occasionally taking off the paper towel, then took it off for good. No burning! No updated pics, though, they still don't look terribly happy. It's just the usual unhappy look that newly repotted VFTs had, though, they seem healthy.

In lieu of pics of those guys, here's a pic of a plant from the same source. Nice color, and it also has a trap growing upside-down somehow.
By uusa2000
Fishkeeper wrote:The growlight is a fairly recent addition, but all my plants are loving it.

I used the paper towel as a shield because, when I first added the light, the VFTs I had at the time all got some minor burn damage. It's 5" above them, but it's not a heat issue, they just 'sun'burned. Didn't want these guys to do the same.

Update: left them shielded for a couple of days, occasionally taking off the paper towel, then took it off for good. No burning! No updated pics, though, they still don't look terribly happy. It's just the usual unhappy look that newly repotted VFTs had, though, they seem healthy.

In lieu of pics of those guys, here's a pic of a plant from the same source. Nice color, and it also has a trap growing upside-down somehow.
Wow, what lights are you using? And where did you put the paper towel? This helps red? up

By Fishkeeper
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/re ... YybYYTBDY4
That's the light I'm using, and I recommend it if you're looking for one.

No, the paper towel does not help the color. I put a paper towel over the new plants so that they would have shade and wouldn't be burned by being introduced to the bright light after being in a store, and then I removed it once they were acclimated.

To get good color in flytraps, you need only two things.
1: A flytrap which has the genetic potential to have color, I.e. not a Wacky Traps or other green-only cultivar. Any hardware store typical has the potential for color.
2: Bright enough light. This light, placed 5" over flytraps that are in a brightly lit window, is a bright enough light. Sunlight should also be enough.
By uusa2000
Fishkeeper wrote:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/re ... YybYYTBDY4
That's the light I'm using, and I recommend it if you're looking for one.

No, the paper towel does not help the color. I put a paper towel over the new plants so that they would have shade and wouldn't be burned by being introduced to the bright light after being in a store, and then I removed it once they were acclimated.

To get good color in flytraps, you need only two things.
1: A flytrap which has the genetic potential to have color, I.e. not a Wacky Traps or other green-only cultivar. Any hardware store typical has the potential for color.
2: Bright enough light. This light, placed 5" over flytraps that are in a brightly lit window, is a bright enough light. Sunlight should also be enough.
Will this work too?Image

By Fishkeeper
Probably, but that will cast a very purple light that isn't pleasant to look at. Take a look at some of the pics in the description- everything will be bright, harsh purple unless you turn the light off to look at the plants.
By uusa2000
Fishkeeper wrote:Probably, but that will cast a very purple light that isn't pleasant to look at. Take a look at some of the pics in the description- everything will be bright, harsh purple unless you turn the light off to look at the plants.
If it promote color, I'm down

By idog24
Has all the characteristics of a "Big Mouth" Vft. It has leaves close to the ground with good colouration. Very nice flytrap you have there
By Fishkeeper
Ooh, it does look like a "Big Mouth", and one of the plants has that red line around the outside of the trap. I'll have to see if they keep growing like that after they get over repotting, or if they start reaching up a bit more.
By Fly Trap Hunter
That's a great score! Is it purple looking or just the pic? It looks like a deep maroon/purple/red. I saw some from that company in Wilmington, nc but they didn't look nice like that one. At least they had a few pitcher plants too.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
The marshydro works very well, it'll turn your plants as dark as the pic below, but the purple light is Annoying. I blocked it with a piece of cardboard on the side of my tank because it was irritating my eyes
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG (432.81 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!