FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Branmuffin
This is a question I have been pondering for a while.

When a leaf on a fly trap naturally dies and turns black, does only the green leaf portion die off or does even the small attached piece of rhizome die off also? In the past while re potting sometimes a dead leaf is knocked loose at the rhizome and still have a nice healthy bit of rhizome attached, I usually throw this in some sphagnum and it will propagate.
What I am really getting at is would it be beneficial to do a leaf pulling on dying leaves or is this counter productive because that small piece of rhizome does not die off when the leaf dies?
By xr280xr
Hard to say for sure since I don't constantly get to see the rhizomes, but from repotting lots and lots of flytraps, I think that when a leaf dies naturally, the white base, or rhizome portion of it, stays alive for a while long before eventually dying off. When you dig up a large healthy flytrap, you'll see the most recent dead leaves still are still attached to living tissue on the rhizome, but frequently one end of the rhizome will also have some dead, rotten tissue where the oldest growth (like last year's growth) grew from.
xr280xr liked this
By cjpflaumer
I second what xr is saying. Usually the very end is dead and rotten then maybe partially rotten and then fairly fresh still leading up to just recently dead leaves or even new growth. When I repot I take all of the pieces that are semi alive and put them in water or sphagnum and I get tons of plants from that.
In summary, the rhizome is very much alive long after a leaf that's visible dies off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!