Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Teddy545
Picture 216.jpg
Picture 216.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Here's the pot I got too.
Here's the pot I got too.
Picture 217.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
The plant looks bad because it was from a death cube and had tiny bugs in it's peat.
By Fishkeeper
Assuming that's pure LFS, the pot has good drainage, you've used only safe water, and it'll be in bright light, then yes. That looks like a deep enough pot, I imagine it's sealed inside, and it's large enough to have a bit of room. Should look great once the plant fills in.
The plant honestly doesn't look that bad. It's clearly light-starved, but it's trying to grow, and it should recover well.
Fishkeeper liked this
By Teddy545
I wanted to make sure I did a good job putting the moss in, maybe you can't tell from a picture.

Do the skinny leafs mean it didn't have enough light?
By Teddy545
I just got it a few days ago , not from you guys. I'm adjusting it to light. It was in 100% peat moss and had little tiny bugs so I wanted to repot it right away. The windows and balcony at my apartment face east. I hope that's good enough, my last plant seemed okay until it rotted last week. I'm bad at watering any kind of plant.
By xr280xr
I agree, it looks like you did a good job potting it! I want to emphasize fishkeeper's "if it has good drainage" condition. Make sure your pot has a hole in the bottom. It is extremely difficult to maintain the correct moisture level otherwise and something I won't even attempt as an experienced grower. It looks like a great pot as long as it has a hole. You could always drill one yourself if you're attached to the pot, but I'd definitely use it for something else if it doesn't have one.
xr280xr liked this
By Teddy545
Yeah, it has a big hole in the bottom and the tray is a separate piece. It's glazed everywhere but the bottom on the outside. 6 inch deep. I used LFSM and distilled water. Hopefully the plant can recover from all the stuff it's been through now.
By Spencer1221
Matt wrote:The potting job looks good! And yes, the skinny leaves indicated that it's a little light deprived. What are your growing conditions? Venus fly traps really need to be outside.
I recently moved my plant outside for about 2 days. When I went to check on it everything was dying. I managed to see a new trap growing in the middle so that was a relief. Is this supposed to happen? Or are the conditions bad where I live.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
By Nick
Spencer1221 wrote:
Matt wrote:The potting job looks good! And yes, the skinny leaves indicated that it's a little light deprived. What are your growing conditions? Venus fly traps really need to be outside.
I recently moved my plant outside for about 2 days. When I went to check on it everything was dying. I managed to see a new trap growing in the middle so that was a relief. Is this supposed to happen? Or are the conditions bad where I live.

A picture would best help us determine the contributing factors. VFTs have a natural turnover of traps, so you may just be seeing the older traps dying off to be replaced by new ones. In addition, if your plant is getting significantly more light, then it may be experiencing some mild sunburn, which also isn't too much of a concern. New growth is always a good sign, and new leaves are the best indicators of plant health.
By Spencer1221
Nick wrote:
Spencer1221 wrote:

A picture would best help us determine the contributing factors. VFTs have a natural turnover of traps, so you may just be seeing the older traps dying off to be replaced by new ones. In addition, if your plant is getting significantly more light, then it may be experiencing some mild sunburn, which also isn't too much of a concern. New growth is always a good sign, and new leaves are the best indicators of plant health.
Ohhh, alright. Let me send a picture! Also, if my plant is getting sunburned will it eventually adapt to be better in the sun?
(My main concern is my new traps dying from being outside)
A few of the traps were growing but also died when I put them outside.

ImageImage

By xr280xr
It does look like sunburn to me. Yes it will adapt as new leaves develop in full sun. Just make sure it doesn't dry out. You should start a new post for your own questions & photos next time ;) This one's about Teddy545's repotting.
By Spencer1221
xr280xr wrote:It does look like sunburn to me. Yes it will adapt as new leaves develop in full sun. Just make sure it doesn't dry out. You should start a new post for your own questions & photos next time ;) This one's about Teddy545's repotting.
Alright thanks for the help!
(Will do next time, I just thought I'd ask a question real quick while everyone was on the subject of sunburns)
Thanks a ton Image

By Teddy545
Now winter is trying to come back so I took my plant inside. It's been in the 30's all day and it might snow tomorrow morning.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!