FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By xcherrychanx
First off, hello to everyone who helps make this forum awesome! :D

Second off, my poor, pitiful looking venus flytrap! I have had it since August, and the poor guy just can't seem to grow traps! I have done quite a bit of extensive research by the time I got it, and have done the following things:

- Placed in it a bowl to let it absorbed water from below.
- I have it in a South-east facing windowsill, it seems to get a lot of sun, best I can do besides putting it outside (I would rather not, for various reasons, I understand that is a last resort if I can't grow it indoors)
- Only used distilled water
- It should be coming out of it's dormancy period by now, and even then, it hasn't had a single trap since October/November
- Gave it a 6500k, cool white fluorescent light to try and compensate for light issues should there be any.

During the past few months, it has tried to flower 3 times. I cut all three as soon as I noticed, hoping it would help.

Thank you all so much for advice and for reading this, I am very new to this and I don't want it to die! :?

Here are some pictures with notes:
Attachments:
A more detailed look at the damage. Are the leaves yellowish too? What does that normally mean?
A more detailed look at the damage. Are the leaves yellowish too? What does that normally mean?
0320170044d_HDR_resized.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
I thought that maybe my problem was light, so I bought a 6500K, cool white flourescent light to put above it for a few hours in the day. (It's nighttime at the moment, I was only turning it on at night for the picture). I have only had it like this for a day, I don't know whether it helping or not.
I thought that maybe my problem was light, so I bought a 6500K, cool white flourescent light to put above it for a few hours in the day. (It's nighttime at the moment, I was only turning it on at night for the picture). I have only had it like this for a day, I don't know whether it helping or not.
0320170044_HDR_resized.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
The other relatively healthy looking new trap+others.
The other relatively healthy looking new trap+others.
0320170044b_HDR_resized.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
I see some new traps growing! But they all seem to end up like the black ones before they even open! Now these traps seem healthier then the ones it tried to grow during dormancy, here's to hoping!
I see some new traps growing! But they all seem to end up like the black ones before they even open! Now these traps seem healthier then the ones it tried to grow during dormancy, here's to hoping!
0320170044c_HDR_resized.jpg (120.87 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
I just watered it recently, I'm letting it dry out a little as it seems to be far too wet at the moment.
I just watered it recently, I'm letting it dry out a little as it seems to be far too wet at the moment.
0320170044a_HDR_resized.jpg (109.79 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
By Smooter80
It needs more light. A fluorescent usually needs to be within a few inches to be of much help and needs to run for 12+ hours. If you can, move it outside and it will get all of the light it needs. If that's not an option, move your light a lot closer. Or a 100 watt+ equivalent(at least 1,600 lumens) 3500-6500k CFL, a clamp light with a reflector and a timer set at 12-14 hours per day. The combo should cost $15-$25. Set up the light 12" away or less.

The yellowing issue is likely minirals building up in your media. Top water several times to flush the media. I usually don't recommend a repot but it might be a good idea since it looks like pure peat. I would add 30-50% additive free pearlite or silica sand to new peat.

Only water as needed. When the surface starts to dry, that's the time to water. It doesn't need to be in standing water at all times.
Smooter80 liked this
By xr280xr
xcherrychanx wrote: - I have it in a South-east facing windowsill, it seems to get a lot of sun, best I can do besides putting it outside (I would rather not, for various reasons, I understand that is a last resort if I can't grow it indoors)
How many hours of direct sunlight does it get in this window and where are you located? Putting it outside might be your last resort which, as an indoor grower, I understand, but it would be the flytrap's preference unless you're in an extreme climate.
xcherrychanx wrote:... so I bought a 6500K, cool white flourescent light to put above it for a few hours in the day.
The color temperature of your bulb is correct, but do you know the lumen output of it? In the reflection, it appears close enough to the plant to me. Make sure you're using it when the plant is not receiving direct sunlight. The lamp won't have any affect if it's on at the same time as the sun. You should use the lamp on a timer so that your plant gets into a consistent cycle. Once I know how much direct sun it's getting and how strong your bulb is, I can give you more recommendations on photoperiod.
xcherrychanx wrote:It should be coming out of it's dormancy period by now, and even then, it hasn't had a single trap since October/November
Well, it's common not to get any new traps while it is dormant, but it appears to be wide awake at this point and it does look unhealthy.
xcherrychanx wrote:I just watered it recently, I'm letting it dry out a little as it seems to be far too wet at the moment.
Yes. The yellowing and deformed/unformed traps could be a consequence of too much water.You want the soil to stay evenly moist, which is difficult in such a small pot. It could also be mineral content in the media. Where did the soil come from? Is it the soil you bought it in?

Your plant has a lot of energy right now from dormancy. Even though it's not getting any traps, I can see it's growing pretty vigorously. I would repot it now, while it still has that energy, into a bigger pot (around 6" deep or more). Get rid of all the moss it's currently in and use a new mix of 50:50 unfertilized sphagnum peat moss and unfertilized perlite. Make sure you rinse and kneed water into your new peat moss before potting otherwise it won't absorb water. The airier mix with perlite will help avoid over-watering and the deeper pot will give the roots room to grow while also giving you more leeway on maintaining the proper moisture level.
By xcherrychanx
Hey everyone! So its been since I posted this that I started having a consistent light cycle using the new light bulb and lamp. I think its working! :D

The traps are growing again, and its got a HUGE one right in the middle, looks like a lima bean! Anyways, it is starting to grow this reddish color, is that alright? And thanks for everyone's advice! Should I start feeding it now or is it too soon for these traps? Thanks again!
Attachments:
0409171851_HDR_resized.jpg
0409171851_HDR_resized.jpg (105.09 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
By Dematerialize
No need to feed it--let it do its thing if possible. Perhaps moving it outdoors eventually to let it do its own catching. If not you can try feeding it wingless fruit flies.

It looks much better now, the red coloration is a bit like suntan so it IS getting sufficient light to grow properly now which is great! :D

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
By xcherrychanx
I normally feed it those little winged jumping bugs, I think they are baby grasshoppers. Those seems to work well. :) what I mean is do these traps look ready to eat.
By xr280xr
Should I start feeding it now or is it too soon for these traps?
In the pictures, the only traps open were slightly deformed so it didn't look quite ready yet, but you could try. When those new traps open, give them about a week and then you can feed one. I would only feed one at a time at first. Good job! Looking much better!
By xcherrychanx
Well after a few more days it's still growing strong! I fed it recently, and it recently just re-opened from that. That red tint is a good sign right? Do all species of VFTs get that way? So excited that it seems to be doing so well artificially. Thoughts?

Also I accidentally touched the big trap and made it close, that won't hurt it to much right?
Attachments:
0420170138b_HDR_resized.jpg
0420170138b_HDR_resized.jpg (118.77 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
By Fishkeeper
Red is great. Most species get some amount of red, and it means they're getting plenty of light.

Closing a trap takes a lot of energy, so it's not great to do that on purpose unless they have food in the traps, but it shouldn't hurt a healthy plant. Which yours definitely looks to be, it's growing fast and coloring up nicely. The trap should re-open soon since there's no prey inside.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!