FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
In late December, I planted some D. Capensis 'Red' seeds that I'd gotten from an Ebay seller who stated they'd been harvested in October. They had a high sprout rate, but the seedlings are growing very, very slowly. They're only 2mm across.
In early January, I planted some D. Capensis 'Alba' seeds that I'd gotten from a user on here. I don't have a harvest date, but it was presumably very recent. Those seedlings vary wildly in size, from 2mm to almost 10mm, but have a much higher average size than the Reds. The Reds just don't seem to be thriving, even a few I've transplanted into the same pot as some of the Albas.

So is this due to the seed freshness? If not, what else could have caused it?
By Fishkeeper
I'd think they would have overcome the initial struggle now that they have roots down, though.

I have another batch of seeds that I got from the same seller, D. Capensis 'Typical', and they're also much smaller than the Albas I planted later.

Do Albas just grow faster, maybe?
By Tarzanus
I have noticed that Alba seedlings tend to start faster. I am not sure if it's true or just a coincidence. At some point my Typical D. capensis seedlings become larger, though. I guess they (seeds I bought..) have genetic predisposition to become a bit larger.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!