FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I'm a bit worried I planted some seeds wrong. I have a few different sundew seeds I tried sewing a little more than a month ago. I used 50/50 peat and perlite with a thin layer of sand on the top like I was told to do with some gemmae I had gotten. I then put a few seeds per pot on top and lightly sprayed them. I playlist the pots in one of those seed starting trays with the clear top with a heat mat. They are under two 100w equivalent LED lights for about twelve to fourteen hours a day. I have yet to see anything sprout. I would have thought I would have seen at least one. All the seed where fresh as for as the daits on the pack said. Any and all help and tips are welcome. Thank!
By Shadowtski
Typically, I don't expect to see any germination in less than a month. Between one month and two months is when I expect Drosera seeds to begin sprouting. Ambient temperature will affect speed of germination also. For example, one grower in Hawaii has germination times twice as fast as mine. But his temperatures are 80ish to 90ish every day and mine are 68 to 72 degrees.

Next time, you might to try germinating a portion of your seeds in distilled water-filled test tubes or containers. I've had luck with some species sprouting quicker under these conditions.

If you have your seeds in average household temperatures, you should be seeing germination soon.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Hungry Plants
Shadowtski wrote:Typically, I don't expect to see any germination in less than a month. Between one month and two months is when I expect Drosera seeds to begin sprouting. Ambient temperature will affect speed of germination also. For example, one grower in Hawaii has germination times twice as fast as mine. But his temperatures are 80ish to 90ish every day and mine are 68 to 72 degrees.

Next time, you might to try germinating a portion of your seeds in distilled water-filled test tubes or containers. I've had luck with some species sprouting quicker under these conditions.

If you have your seeds in average household temperatures, you should be seeing germination soon.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike

It stays about 75-80 in my little indoor greenhouse and drops to about 65 or so at night.
By nimbulan
I never expect germination in less than a month, though it can happen. The only thing I might worry about is the sand - the seeds are going to have difficulty getting established if they don't have contact with the peat.

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

I don't have any really good advice for you. If no[…]

Boy this is hard work

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A[…]

Hi from FNQ.

G'day!

I’ll be honest, I’ll probably end up[…]

I get peat moss in the traps every time I repot in[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

Ok great! I had just wondered if they were at all […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!