FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ambkosh8465
Would it be okay to plant flytraps, sundews and pitcher plants together in the same pot? I've seen terrariums for sale online where they're all growing together in the same pot, but is that only intended for indoor culture under lights? I've read that they all need the same type of soil, but are their other requirements the same, such as the amount of sunlight and water they'd need? I always put my flytraps out in the sun on my deck over the summer and would like to try a dish garden where they're mixed together with some other CP's like I've seen online. Would that be okay to do outdoors?
By DragonflyGuy
It is possible to mix up different types of carnivorous plants in a single container but they should having similar growing requirements. You don't want to have tropical sundew with a temperate CP that requires a winter dormancy, for example.

You could grow some Sarracenias, flytraps, and temperate Sundews (like D. Filiformis and D. Intermedia) in a large container.
By Matt
Sundews (some species at least), flytraps and Sarracenia can be grown together in the same pot, but they usually do better in slightly different growing conditions (Sarracenia like it wetter, as do some species of sundews, whereas flytraps prefer to have soil that's just moist). For that reason, they'll do better growing separately.
By CPcaregiver
DragonflyGuy wrote:It is possible to mix up different types of carnivorous plants in a single container but they should having similar growing requirements. You don't want to have tropical sundew with a temperate CP that requires a winter dormancy, for example.

You could grow some Sarracenias, flytraps, and temperate Sundews (like D. Filiformis and D. Intermedia) in a large container.
Exactly. :D
By pieguy452
There are some posts on this website showing people successfully growing various carnivorous plants in one bog. But as said above, it's better if you just keep them separate and give them their own conditions :)
By parker679
Absolutely.

These pictures are old now but if you look here and here, these are all grown in the same container.

Like people said though, you're basically keeping it at a water level that may not be as optimum a level as you would keep them if they were separated. Other than the cobra lily, everything you see in my pictures grows extremely well. The drosera grows like a weed, there are constantly little plants coming up. And this year when dormancy broke I noticed about 6 small pitcher plants sprouting, I assume they're from the hybrid that I mistook for a S. psittacina in the post Iinked to.

What I do is take the container and about 6 inches or so below where the soil line will be drill some drainage holes. I screwed some pipe fittings into the holes to prevent the soil from coming out. This way even if it rains, the water lever should never be too much for the VFT's. Though depending on the size of the container and your local rainfall you may not ever have need for the drains. The water in my container never really comes within 10 inches of the soil line. In hind site I would have like to install a drain with a valve on it near the bottom so that I can flush it out occasionally.

In the late spring and summer when it's really hot in my area I will go through a gallon or two of water per week. I try to keep the soil moist at all times during this time. That's where my trade off is, the water level is never as high as it could be for the Sarr.'s and Drosera. I also don't let it dry out like some do with just VFT's; I have never had any problems with my plants though.
By jamesflytrap
I don't know if it helps but when I brought mine it came with a sundew. I'm not sure if I should or how I should separate them.
Attachments:
tmp_12715-20170312_162404-1655036919.jpg
tmp_12715-20170312_162404-1655036919.jpg (508.55 KiB) Viewed 9485 times
tmp_12715-2017-03-12 18.10.52-654134586.jpg
tmp_12715-2017-03-12 18.10.52-654134586.jpg (478.42 KiB) Viewed 9485 times
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!