FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nandi
If I use 100% Novobalt for VFTs and Droseras, is this a dissadvantage against using CP mix, 50:50 peat perlite? May my plants grow slower or anything? Unfortunately, it's difficult to get peat or any kind of silica sand here.
By tannerm
Peat will turn slightly acidic over time (not all CPs like that), perlite or sand is usually added to the mix to improve drainage. You can definitely use straight peat for VFTs, not sure which species drosera you're referring to. Just throw some perlite in there if you have it and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By roarke
Nandi wrote:If I use 100% Novobalt for VFTs and Droseras, is this a dissadvantage against using CP mix, 50:50 peat perlite? May my plants grow slower or anything? Unfortunately, it's difficult to get peat or any kind of silica sand here.
Where do you live ?
By Nandi
roarke wrote:
Nandi wrote:If I use 100% Novobalt for VFTs and Droseras, is this a dissadvantage against using CP mix, 50:50 peat perlite? May my plants grow slower or anything? Unfortunately, it's difficult to get peat or any kind of silica sand here.
Where do you live ?
I live in Hungary. I didn't find perlite in any gardening stores yet. I could order from local webshops but I'm not sure if it's good or it may kill my plants. I've read in many websites that perlite could be dangerous to use, some people had bad experiences with perlite.

I recently repotted some Drosera aliciaes to 100% sphagnum peat as I didn't have perlite yet. I hope they will do fine in it.
By jwalker
I've used it but can't really tell you if it's good or bad. I can tell you I don't like perlite it always floats to the top. U can stop it by putting a thin layer of peat on top.

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in […]

Pest control question

Hey all. My Sarrs got hit with thrips this Spring […]

I'd like to give her some of these when they're […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I just found these in my bog pot I didn't let any […]

doing research before buying a ping

I'm thinking of buying a p. gigantea but I don't k[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I hav[…]

HMD

Happy mother's day!

Succulents Question

There are lots of great apps like seek or leafsnap[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!