FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By NatashaYole
Hey guys :) Im very new to this site, was hoping to get some help on my VFT.
It sits on the kitchen windowsil with a tray of filtered water (our tap water is too chlorinated)
The traps dont respond, even new traps look awful. Was hoping i could get some help in how to save this poor plant ❤
Attachments:
14878113892171079938993.jpg
14878113892171079938993.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4408 times
By Shadowtski
I mostly grow Drosera but your FlyTrap looks like it needs more light. Underdeveloped traps are often a sign of inadequate light. Maybe add artificial lighting or put it in a different spot. When the weather stays above freezing, I'd suggest moving him outdoors.

A second question is what type of filtered water are you giving him? FlyTraps and most CP need very pure water with Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) below 50 Parts Per Million. Most CP growers use either distilled water or rain water for their plants. A TDS Meter is a cheap (around $10 from Amazon) way of making sure your water is pure enough. The only filtering system that gets water this pure is Reverse-Osmosis filtering.

Other more expert growers may have other and probably better suggestions. But this is my two cents worth.

Anyways, welcome to the forum! Good luck with your FlyTraps. Matt, the owner of this forum has some good informative articles on growing FlyTraps here.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By bvalente
Shadowtski wrote:I mostly grow Drosera but your FlyTrap looks like it needs more light. Underdeveloped traps are often a sign of inadequate light. Maybe add artificial lighting or put it in a different spot. When the weather stays above freezing, I'd suggest moving him outdoors.

A second question is what type of filtered water are you giving him? FlyTraps and most CP need very pure water with Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) below 50 Parts Per Million. Most CP growers use either distilled water or rain water for their plants. A TDS Meter is a cheap (around $10 from Amazon) way of making sure your water is pure enough. The only filtering system that gets water this pure is Reverse-Osmosis filtering.

Other more expert growers may have other and probably better suggestions. But this is my two cents worth.

Anyways, welcome to the forum! Good luck with your FlyTraps. Matt, the owner of this forum has some good informative articles on growing FlyTraps here.

Good growing,
Mike

Beat me to the punch, exactly this. If your outside temps allow it, anything above freezing they'll be fine :)
bvalente liked this
By Earthy
my plants have been "in and out" for a few weeks now lol...on the days it's above freezing, they're outside. if it's below freezing, they're in the garage. they are starting to wake up so I'm getting kinda nervous that they won't get enough sun lol. might have to move them to the basement south-facing window here soon...

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!