FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By binnkim
Hello,

I need your expert help.

First, I'll let picture speak to you.

Ignore the big one.. that one's half dead (i cut it from its root by accident but it has one tiny root that's keeping it kind of green-ish over last 2 months).

The tiny one, I think is dead. It was a little better when it was in a pot but since I moved to this container, it started to die.

The medium size, still small one. I really want this to grow well but it's slowly fading. It was super healthy and green when it was in a pot but I read somewhere that I should move it to a container until it grows bigger. Since then it's gone more yellowish and no more dews. Should I re-pot it? I really really want to save this little guy.

Thanks in asvance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By binnkim
Oh, also the moss. Shpagnum moss are (were) alive and more green but now it looks like they are dead... I dreamed of having live sphagnum moss carpet but that's bot really happening... what am I doing wrong?

By hollyhock
It seems too wet and without any real air flow... What kind of lighting? And you really don't need to have it covered with plastic wrap..I don't even see any air holes poked in the plastic.
Those conditions will lead to root rot and all kinds of problems. Fungus and mildew issues could develop.
Last edited by hollyhock on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hollyhock liked this
By xr280xr
hollyhock wrote:It seems too wet and without any real air flow... What kind of lighting? And you really don't need to have it covered with plastic wrap..Those conditions will lead to root rot and all kinds of problems. Fungus and mildew issues could develop.
100% agree. That's also already not enough depth for that little guy's roots.
By Tarzanus
You need to use a taller than normal pot. You can keep the plants covered for a week or so to help them adjust to new growing conditions. I usually skip it entirely, because I've not have any results when I used it, it actually did the opposite.
Get them some light, some air and a new pot. I hope it' s not too late.

PS: Drosera capensis - the small one, will be the easiest to recover. Drosera adelae will be harder. Good luck!
Tarzanus liked this
By steve booth
Agreed - the conditions are too wet and great for rot, they need air circulation, what are the temperature and light conditions you have?

Cheers
Steve
By binnkim
So listened to you all and reduced watering quite a bit and moved to its own pot with new shpagnum moss. But it's almost dead now so I hope it can recover...

I use natural light and watered twice a week (soaked) but now half the amount but still twice a week. I watered same amount during the summer and it doesn't work in Winter. Lesson learned.

By xr280xr
binnkim wrote:So listened to you all and reduced watering quite a bit and moved to its own pot with new shpagnum moss. But it's almost dead now so I hope it can recover...
It looks like it's shocked from the sudden change in humidity. When growing covered, in nearly 100% humidity, you should gradually reduce the humidity to allow the plant to acclimate. You might help it out by partially covering it.
By Fishkeeper
Tuck it down further into the substrate, so the bottoms of the leaves are touching the moss, to help it stay moist. Also, put it in a tray of water. It's not almost dead, it's still green, it's just very unhappy.
I keep my sundews in a tray that has at least an inch of water in it at all times.
Also, it needs to go in a different pot, or at least a plastic cup with holes in the bottom. Clay pots leach minerals into the soil that are harmless to most plants but lethal to all carnivorous plants.
By binnkim

I want to give you an update that one of them is doing better.

Help! My VFT is dying

So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6?

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!