FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
It's getting into the time of year when there are a lot of dead bugs in the house where they can be easily fed to things. Also, I have three N. Sanguinea that I would like to see get big and fat on bugs. I assume that, since CPs use the materials from insects to grow, they'll grow much faster if I stuff them with as many bugs they can process.
So how many bugs can I give them at one time? Enough that the fluid-filled third of the pitcher is loosely stuffed?
By Seymour_
I think u can experiment with it. I think about questions like this all the time. In the wild the plant will have no control over light, food and water. I understand we as growers want to give our plants the best possible conditions. But maybe we over think it somtimes. I in no way mean any disrespect and i am not suggesting you are doing anything wrong. I myself get caught up in making conditions just right that i forget that in the natural they have no control over anything around them. They may get shaded or trampled or experience drought or a whole nest of bees may follow each other to certain doom. Many of them can survive all of these things. I am not suggesting a "wing it" approach either. Sry for the big rant lol. I think if you experiment you will see just how much or little they can handle.

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk
By tannerm
Fishkeeper wrote:It's getting into the time of year when there are a lot of dead bugs in the house where they can be easily fed to things. Also, I have three N. Sanguinea that I would like to see get big and fat on bugs. I assume that, since CPs use the materials from insects to grow, they'll grow much faster if I stuff them with as many bugs they can process.
So how many bugs can I give them at one time? Enough that the fluid-filled third of the pitcher is loosely stuffed?
Like all CPs, they break down the nitrogen and use that in lieu of fertilizer. Honestly you only need a couple bugs per pitcher (max), otherwise they'll die as they will have fulfilled their purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!