FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Smooter80
It looks like a fungus/mold. You also have black tips on your moss. Both can be signs of high minirals. Fungus can also mean you need more air flow. You might want to get a TDS reading, increase air flow and let the surface slightly dry between waterings.
By Adelaide
Are you using roof-runoff rain water by chance? The white looks like some sort of chalky deposit - I agree with smooter on the minerals concern.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
It is roof run off water. I bottom water all my plants so it can't be a deposit. How hard is it to repot ?
By Adelaide
It can still be a deposit because the water and minerals will work up to the surface. I would stop using roof-run off if I wear you or at least test it with a TDS meter. Someone else on the forum used a meter to test their roof run off and it was significantly higher than tap. This is because there's all kinds of gunk on roofs, if you think about roof shingles, they are pretty much slabs of minerals.

"Shingles are made of various materials such as wood, slate, flagstone, fibre cement, metal, plastic, and composite material such as asphalt shingles."

By Smooter80
You can buy a TDS meter on EBay for about $6 shipped. IMO is essential to have one. Even with 0 TDS water, media breaks down and can raise the TDS to lethal levels over time. Keeping media constantly soaked will speed up the process. You should occasionally top water to help flush the media. I only top water but that's just one way to do it.
By Tarzanus
I am collecting water from the roof, but I have noticed a couple of things. If I collect it from the beginning, when it starts to rain, TDS is quite high. Not nearly as high as tap water (~250), but high enoug to cause issues, especially after using it some for time. The rain itself has some dissolved salts after a longer dry period. It's best for the first rain to wash down the roof and clean the atmosphere above, then after the rain is falling for some time, you can collect as much water as you can, it is usually low on TDS.

I also have a plastic roof from which I can collect water with a bit less solids. It does have a lot of organic matter that is building up (not steep enough) and adds a bit, but not much, because it usually dry fast and gets washed out regularly. Same thing happens with that water, first rain water has higher TDS, mainly due to rain's higher salt content and dirt that collects on the roof. After 6 hours of rain, TDS falls down to ~6. At that point it is just slightly higher than rain I collect in a clean, empty bucket (~4).
Tarzanus liked this
By Hungry Plants
So what's the best way to repot this guy. I have a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite and some sand. Will this work?
By Adelaide
What species is it? Peat and perlite is probably fine, but I use sphagnum moss for everything but my Lady Luck (peat and perlite).

By Hungry Plants
Adelaide wrote:What species is it? Peat and perlite is probably fine, but I use sphagnum moss for everything but my Lady Luck (peat and perlite).

Not a 100% sure but best guess is ventrata

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!