FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Alex

So as you can see, I have a tiny 3 inch pot full of LFS with clusters of sundews in it. They have been growing under a light for about 2 months. However, it seems something in the middle is much bigger than any of the sundews. My question is this: is the large object growing in the center bog grass, or is it some sort of sundew? And if it is bog grass, should I remove it? I'm not sure how the grass cut in there unless it was in the seeds or the moss. As always, answers are appreciated. Thanks, and happy growing!
By fattytuna
Yeah the plant in the middle just looks like some type of bog grass. It probably has quite a substantial root system so ripping it out of sphagum isn't going to be the easiest thing. I would just cut it and hope it dies or gently try and tease it out. The sphagnum might have been harvested from the 'wild' or on someone's property so stray seeds sometimes make it through.
fattytuna liked this
By w03
It looks like a sedge. They get huge root systems that take over the entire pot, and will very quickly overcrowd the young sundews. Just keep cutting it down to ground level every time it regrows, and eventually it will exhaust its energy supply.
w03 liked this
By Orit
I figured it was probably better to bump an old thread than start a new one with the same question. Is this also some kind of bog grass that I need to trim (to the left, with a sundew behind it)? I thought it was a baby sundew until I saw that the babies look just like miniature adults. Thanks!
Attachments:
20170123_213901.jpg
20170123_213901.jpg (415.32 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
By Tarzanus
Looks like a regular grass to me. Strange it grows that fast, I usually see them fight for their life for a while, then I just pluck them out or cut them as low as I can. Roots are most likely entangled together by now, so ripping it out ain't going to be easy. If you intend to repot these Droseras, you can take out the grass, if not, I'd just cut it at the root level.
By Orit
Thanks for the response! Darn, if it's just regular grass, why won't it grow in my yard? :) Thankfully it's not too big, but growing fast. They don't need to be repotted so I will see what I can do to get rid of it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't beneficial or favorable in any way first as I'm new to sundews. Thanks again!
By Orit
After cutting in mostly down, which was very tricky, I tried and was able to pull it out quite easily. In doing so, I discovered a third sundew! I ordered 1, mentioned to Matt and Leah that I would like a 2nd but they were out of stock, and ended up with 3. I also ordered some from another vendor for a friend and they sent one plant that was smaller than the average of these 3. Cannot thank Matt and Leah enough!!! <3
Attachments:
20170125_182824.jpg
20170125_182824.jpg (357.22 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!