FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By AdamPV
Hey everyone, new to this forum. Although I have used it when I used to own VFT to look up general questions.

Anyway, I have owned VFTs before but just the basic Dente ones I believe they were called.

I want to get back into growing them somewhat, not looking to go overboard on price. Currently, I am looking at a few and I was wondering what your guys' opinions are on these and if it is a good choice with the experience I have. I am definitely looking at something other than the basic VFT and I want to try growing some that are unique.

Also, I would be interested in actually growing them from scratch but I am honestly not sure how difficult or expensive that is and wanted some opinions on it (and also how long it takes to do that as well). Any advice/suggestions/recommendations would really help me out!
By Smooter80
I think linking to another site selling CPs is highly frowned upon. Try the red button at the top of this page ;) They have the best quality VFTs anyways.

They all have the same basic care requirements but some like Red Dragon can be fussy. VFTs from seed can take years to get to a decent size. Get a couple of established VFTs from FTS, read/follow the guides posted here and you should have happy plants.
Smooter80, Smooter80 liked this
By AdamPV
Smooter80 wrote:I think linking to another site selling CPs is highly frowned upon. Try the red button at the top of this page ;) They have the best quality VFTs anyways.

They all have the same basic care requirements but some like Red Dragon can be fussy. VFTs from seed can take years to get to a decent size. Get a couple of established VFTs from FTS, read/follow the guides posted here and you should have happy plants.
Ah my bad, like I said I am sort of new here and did not realize that they were sold on this site, it makes sense now when people say they have bought theirs from FTS. I am going to do some looking around on there.
By AdamPV
Well, I am now stuck between Long Red Fingers and FTS Flaming Lips. I think I might go with the Flaming Lips but not exactly sure yet.

Update: I invested in a FTS Flaming Lips. It looks like a really unique and colorful plant. Thanks for the help!
By AdamPV
Hey guys since it should get here this week I went ahead and bought some distilled water. I just want to make sure this water is ok.

Also I was reading about the best things to do since it is dormancy season for it. Any tips/advice would be great! (I live where it is around 32-40 degrees right now and should drop for more snow soon.)
By Fishkeeper
Distilled water is what you get when you boil water, collect the steam, and condense the steam back into water. Only the water evaporates, all the minerals stay in the original container. It should say "steam distillation" somewhere on the label, which yours does.
Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

Hello from New England

Welcome

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!