FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
So, I have a lot of seeds this year from my VFTs. I'm wondering if there is any significant advantage to sticking the seeds in water to germinate, or just sowing them regularly. I ask because while I have seen people say that water propagation offers no significant advantage over soil propagation (with pullings), but I found that to be the opposite for me, with 100 percent success compared with 50-80 percent success with soil.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone who has done both ways has seen any significant improvement. If not, I may experiment and document it myself.

Again, I understand the theory behind water propagation, but if it held such great advantage with pullings, then I see no reason it should not work well with seeds.

Anyone with experience, feel free to chime in on this. Since these seeds are so fresh, I doubt anything will be bad either way, but why not squeeze out every last shred of germination rate?

Thanks!
By katya_dog1
Good, did you notice any great improvement in germination time? Or was it about the same?
By YaronR
I actually had the other way around. I managed to germinate VFTs on both media and LFS, as long as there is enough humidity.
Three and a half months old, and they are about 8-12 mm in diameter.
I am now starting to feed them with crushed blood worms, using a tooth pick

Sent from my phone, so sorry for mistakes.
By katya_dog1
YaronR wrote:I actually had the other way around. I managed to germinate VFTs on both media and LFS, as long as there is enough humidity.
Three and a half months old, and they are about 8-12 mm in diameter.
I am now starting to feed them with crushed blood worms, using a tooth pick

I don't understand. You state that you used "media" and LFS, but nothing about water propagation. Media refers to any soil mix, moss, or whatever you're growing plants in. Did you mean you have used water and it didn't work but the LFS did?
By YaronR
True. I tried water, but got algee and fungus.
Since they germinate readily in pot of soil mix and LFS, I saw no need to continue the water method

By katya_dog1
All right, it sounds like I should do a test on both to see which does better!

Can anyone give me pointers on finding a guide to growing VFTs from seed in water on this forum?
By Jds
Sorry Katya_dog for late reply.
I had planted on 29 th May and got first germination on mostly 9June or maybe 10.
This method is used by Tish-see in his grow list.
By entropy81
Water is how I germinate mine. It seems a little bit faster to me but it's not a huge difference. I just put them in a clear covered dish or cup of RO water under a grow light and wait until the roots start to come out of the seeds. Then I transfer them to peat.

I prefer it because it's generally cleaner for me (I get no algae, moss or mold issues in a dish of pure water). Also you can see the seeds and see if and when they germinate and transfer, once you put them on peat you usually can't find them and just have to wait to see if anything grows.
entropy81 liked this
By katya_dog1
Thanks man! I am doing the "collar" method for my seeds, so I'll be easily able to see them.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!