FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
My burmannii's (if that's the right spelling) have all flowered and I want to sell the seeds to a few people in my area and online locally. in order for me to do so, I want to make sure I got my information right before I do so.

My specific burmannii's that I have are beerwahs. if I sow those seeds, will they grow to be more beerwahs? in other words, should I label the seeds as for example "drosera burmannii beerwah" seeds? or just label them as "drosera burmannii" seeds?

Another question, since they just... germinate for me on their own like weeds, how should I write the germination guide for them? I want to let the person who reads it to know just about exactly what to do to germinate the seeds, and not have a hard time.

Note: i will make ABSOLUTELY sure about everything before I actually sell them, lol, incase that was a question on your mind.
By Shadowtski
Beerwah is a city in Queensland, Australia. Drosera burmannii from this locale are usually labelled Drosera burmannii "Queensland Beerwah", or D. burmannii "Queensland", or D. burmannii "Beerwah". I prefer the first.

Sundews in this area are usually Green plants with Red tentacles and glands. They are medium sized; mine grow to about one inch diameter. I attached a photo of my own D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah". The seeds came from the ICPS Seedbank.

Location Sundews like this breed true to form from seed. (Almost always) The offspring seed can be labelled the same as the parents.

A growing guide is always a good idea. You'll be selling those seeds to new growers who don't have a clue. The more info you give them, the better chance of success.

That is my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike

Growing in a 2.5 inch square pot
Growing in a 2.5 inch square pot
Drosera burmannii Queensland Beerwah.JPG (159.67 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Gry
Shadowtski wrote:Beerwah is a city in Queensland, Australia. Drosera burmannii from this locale are usually labelled Drosera burmannii "Queensland Beerwah", or D. burmannii "Queensland", or D. burmannii "Beerwah". I prefer the first.

Sundews in this area are usually Green plants with Red tentacles and glands. They are medium sized; mine grow to about one inch diameter. I attached a photo of my own D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah". The seeds came from the ICPS Seedbank.

Location Sundews like this breed true to form from seed. (Almost always) The offspring seed can be labelled the same as the parents.

A growing guide is always a good idea. You'll be selling those seeds to new growers who don't have a clue. The more info you give them, the better chance of success.

That is my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike

Drosera burmannii Queensland Beerwah.JPG
Ah, that was brilliantly said and well explained :) Also, that pot of burmannii's look great! are they yours?
By Shadowtski
Yes, those are my D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah". I took that photo today, this morning. This past April, I germinated the seeds in water filled test tubes, 14 days to germination. I transferred them to a 1:1 PeatMoss:Sand mix, under T-8 fluorescent lighting. This past May, I moved them outside for the Summer. In Fall, they came inside, and are now in my basement under LED lighting. They flowered and produced seed. They're a nice plant, easy to grow, colorful, and effective at catching prey.

Good growing,
Mike
By Shadowtski
dr_donut wrote:Kinda off topic, but does clumping them together like that cause any problems?
They get larger if you transplant them to individual pots. But I haven't had any problems with communal pots like this. I grow most of my stuff this way. I let them fight it out for growing space and may the strongest plant win. Call it the Darwin Games. I don't have room for more than one pot of anything, with a few exceptions. A pot saturated with bright Red Drosera does have a visual appeal, at least I think so.

It would be nice to have more growers in the Milwaukee area. Then I could give away some of the excess without the hassle of shipping.

Good growing,
Mike
By Gry
Shadowtski wrote:Yes, those are my D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah". I took that photo today, this morning. This past April, I germinated the seeds in water filled test tubes, 14 days to germination. I transferred them to a 1:1 PeatMoss:Sand mix, under T-8 fluorescent lighting. This past May, I moved them outside for the Summer. In Fall, they came inside, and are now in my basement under LED lighting. They flowered and produced seed. They're a nice plant, easy to grow, colorful, and effective at catching prey.

Good growing,
Mike
aren't beerwahs supposed to be only green with red(ish) snap tentacles? I grow mine in really bright 100 watt full spectrum LED's with 15 or so blue led's mixed in and my other plants including a crimson sawtooth look blood-red but my beerwahs are almost completely green. Still though, you really have a impressive pot 'o plants there :)
By Shadowtski
Gry wrote: aren't beerwahs supposed to be only green with red(ish) snap tentacles? I grow mine in really bright 100 watt full spectrum LED's with 15 or so blue led's mixed in and my other plants including a crimson sawtooth look blood-red but my beerwahs are almost completely green. Still though, you really have a impressive pot 'o plants there :)
I grow mine under MarsHydro 300W LED lights 12 - 18 inches distance. Those lights cause my plants to color up above and beyond what I was accustomed to.

Good growing,
Mike
By Gry
Shadowtski wrote:
Gry wrote: aren't beerwahs supposed to be only green with red(ish) snap tentacles? I grow mine in really bright 100 watt full spectrum LED's with 15 or so blue led's mixed in and my other plants including a crimson sawtooth look blood-red but my beerwahs are almost completely green. Still though, you really have a impressive pot 'o plants there :)
I grow mine under MarsHydro 300W LED lights 12 - 18 inches distance. Those lights cause my plants to color up above and beyond what I was accustomed to.

Good growing,
Mike
ooohhhh, ok, that explains it, HAHAHA!!!! cool man, thats a nice light setup :)
By Fishman
My burmanni came from Mikes seed stock as well. When they first germinated i panicked because i thought they were drying out and dying for some reason lol. I immediately uprooted 2 of them and put them in their own pot in an attempt to save them. Since then, they have been on the same shelf, same distance to the lighting, same feeding schedule snd everything. One thing that i find strange is how the 2 i saved dont have any red on them except for some of the snap tentacles. I dont give it alot of thought, or i havent until now. Only thing i could come up with, is that the main pot is peat, perlite and a bit of sand. The pot with the other 2 is just lfsm with a bit of sand....Im just happy to have them in my collection to enjoy.
Attachments:
20170107_165525.jpg
20170107_165525.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4307 times
20170107_165513.jpg
20170107_165513.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4307 times
By Shadowtski
I have at least 3 varieties of D. burmannii. I have D. burmannii "Humpty Doo", D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah", and a Drosera burmannii "All Green".

There seems to be some genetic variability in the Beerwah and All Green varieties. A Green plant will pop up from Beerwah seeds and a red one will pop up in the Green seeds. I try to be absolutely meticulous in seed handling and pot segregation so I don't spread or cross contaminate seeds.

If there is any doubt, I just label the seed as Drosera burmannii.

Good growing,
Mike
By Gry
Shadowtski wrote:I have at least 3 varieties of D. burmannii. I have D. burmannii "Humpty Doo", D. burmannii "Queensland Beerwah", and a Drosera burmannii "All Green".

There seems to be some genetic variability in the Beerwah and All Green varieties. A Green plant will pop up from Beerwah seeds and a red one will pop up in the Green seeds. I try to be absolutely meticulous in seed handling and pot segregation so I don't spread or cross contaminate seeds.

If there is any doubt, I just label the seed as Drosera burmannii.

Good growing,
Mike
Truth there, truth there. well, I dont got any doubts, but you got a very sharp point, lol.
I am curious about the all green though... what difference does it have from a beerwah?
Fishman wrote:My burmanni came from Mikes seed stock as well. When they first germinated i panicked because i thought they were drying out and dying for some reason lol. I immediately uprooted 2 of them and put them in their own pot in an attempt to save them. Since then, they have been on the same shelf, same distance to the lighting, same feeding schedule snd everything. One thing that i find strange is how the 2 i saved dont have any red on them except for some of the snap tentacles. I dont give it alot of thought, or i havent until now. Only thing i could come up with, is that the main pot is peat, perlite and a bit of sand. The pot with the other 2 is just lfsm with a bit of sand....Im just happy to have them in my collection to enjoy.
Those pics you sent are also very beautiful! that red is a wonderful shade and they look very happy/healthy :)
By Shadowtski
Gry wrote:I am curious about the all green though... what difference does it have from a beerwah?
D. burmannii "Green" was larger than the "Beerwah", reaching 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter. The lighting was adequate to turn his Sundew neighbors Red, but he remained adamantly Green. I grew them outside from late Spring until the first frost. One note though, I grew him before I bought my high powered LED lights. Next year it will be interesting to see if he retains his Green coloration in the presence of the LEDs.

Good growing,
Mike
By Gry
Shadowtski wrote:
Gry wrote:I am curious about the all green though... what difference does it have from a beerwah?
D. burmannii "Green" was larger than the "Beerwah", reaching 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter. The lighting was adequate to turn his Sundew neighbors Red, but he remained adamantly Green. I grew them outside from late Spring until the first frost. One note though, I grew him before I bought my high powered LED lights. Next year it will be interesting to see if he retains his Green coloration in the presence of the LEDs.

Good growing,
Mike
Ah, I see, and the beerwah also can get very light red coloration at the very tips of the leaves and red snap tentacles, especially when young, right?
Hi from FNQ.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi from MD!

Welcome to the forum!

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plants […]

While what is said above is true, I have a mini […]

Follow-up to my experiment done last fall. The […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Not the actual plant. Just a pic of what Matt has.[…]

please and thank you :D

Trying My Hand With TC

Sweet. I will check them out.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!