FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
My Pinguicula moranensis "F Vera Paz" is growing nicely. Look at the leaf jump in the new growth since it arrived on October 28th.

It shows no signs of going into a succulent state. Should I be concerned or give it a year to acclimate to the seasons in its new home? Should I be doing something different? It looks happy but I'm a Ping neophyte and don't know for sure.

Current conditions are 9 hours of LED light, synced with local daylight photoperiod. ( Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 43 Deg. N.) Temperature varies from 70 daytime to 55 at night. Humidity is 50 percent dropping to 25 during the day. It does not sit in water, but I water it when I think it needs it, less than once a week. I'll put an 1/8 inch of water in the tray.

Good growing,
Mike

Pinguicula moranensis F Vera Paz 007.JPG
Pinguicula moranensis F Vera Paz 007.JPG (163.36 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
By Shadowtski
Leathal_Traps wrote:It won't go succulent if you keep watering it :p

Thanks, I was waiting for it to go succulent before I withheld water. I guess I got that backwards. The tray is dry now, haven't watered it in several days. The Winter drought has officially begun.

Will it start growing normal leaves on its own in Spring, or do I trigger that by watering it again in 3 months?

Good growing,
Mike
By Earthy
the three things I do that lets my pings know that it's Winter is: reduction of photoperiod, reduction of water, and reduction of temps. I start with the photoperiod and water reduction, then when they start putting out Winter form leaves I put them on a cool windowsill. when having carnivorous leaves I water every week; to get them to go sleepy I cut that to every 2 weeks. works like a charm and mine are currently in their Winter forms (except for the leaf-pull baby I did earlier this year lol) :)
By Benurmanii
It's not a huge deal, and won't harm the plant if it doesn't go succulent. Reducing photoperiod, from what I understand, just mimics the slightly less intense sun they receive during the winter (being equatorial, the photoperiod really doesn't change much). Lowering watering is always necessary, sometimes they won't go succulent and just dry out instead. I believe that it is best just to water according whatever stage the plant is in.

This year, my cyclos and esseriana went succulent as the photoperiod dropped and nights got cooler, despite still being wet. However, most of the succulent plants from BCP woke up, likely just due to the change in conditions, so I have watered them instead of trying to force a succulent stage upon them.
By Bhart90
Mine went succulent on their own time. It was up to ME to lessen up the watering, otherwise be stuck in an endless succulent form.
By Shadowtski
Here's an update on my Ping.

I stopped watering it (except for one spritz weekly) and it did two things for me.

First, it started putting out Green succulent leaves. The new leaves are getting the same light as the old ones but are not becoming Pink. They show no trace of the Drool Lip that the summer leaves have. And they look much thicker than the Summer leaves.

Second, it sent up a flower scape. When it opens, I'll cut the flower open and pollinate it. Maybe there will be some seeds to donate to the Seedbank in the not too distant future.

Thank you to the Ping People who offered help. It worked.

Good growing,
Mike

Ping moranensis F Vera Paz Succulent.JPG
Ping moranensis F Vera Paz Succulent.JPG (192.54 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Shadowtski
Benurmanii wrote:If you're interested in crossing instead, I have flowering P. esseriana and a flowering P. emarginata.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I want to get some Pinguicula species seeds in the seedbank. This seems to be a nice "Starter" Ping and I want to spread it around.

Good growing,
Mike
Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!