FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Branmuffin
About 8 weeks ago I made a bunch of leaf pullings, instead of just clipping the traps from the stalk and discarding I decided to toss them in some LFSM and see if any strike. Today I see there is some growth on a old flower stalk and a few of the traps, this isn't growing from the bottom like I would expect and doesn't look like new growth from a leaf pulling, anyone able to confirm if this is new growth? On the flower stalk there appears to be a long red hairy root looking growth, is that a root or something different?

IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG (373.67 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_3506.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG (362.29 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG (395.52 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG (369.43 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG (347.75 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG (382.88 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
By Branmuffin
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Looks like new growth

Sent from my SM-G935V
I guess it's fairly obvious it's new growth, do you have any idea what the red fuzzy root is? Is it just a root? I have never seen anything look quite like that before and also any idea why the new growth did not come from the cut point like most cuttings?
By DeadlyCarnivore
Branmuffin wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Looks like new growth

Sent from my SM-G935V
I guess it's fairly obvious it's new growth, do you have any idea what the red fuzzy root is? Is it just a root? I have never seen anything look quite like that before and also any idea why the new growth did not come from the cut point like most cuttings?
The red root is just a regular root, its what the root looks like as its growing. The tip of the root will always be white as its growing, but the rest of the root should turn black. I think its a false vivipray, at least thats the word I see when people post pictures of venus flytraps that have young venus flytraps growing near the top of the flower stalk, it just happens. Happens with drosera too sometimes. Thats with flower stalks though, I dont know why its not growing at the cut point on the venus flytrap leaf.. sundews dont always have plantlets growing at the point it was cut either.. could just be a normal thing, have never tried leaf cuttings with venus flytraps.

Sent from my SM-G935V
DeadlyCarnivore liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!