FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Tipitiwitchet
I'm on a mission to find a completely glazed ceramic pot to plant my baby in. Since I wanted to let it acclimate for a while, I figure I have plenty of time to track one (or more?) down that looks cool enough for my VFT!
I'm willing to go with a plastic pot. But I have a apartment with a balcony, and flying squirrels love to randomly surprise me and knock plants over occasionally.
I think a heavier container might be safer.

Anyone have any pics of their VFT in the planter of your dreams?
By Salia
If you're just worried about the weight of the pot, I'm pretty sure you can get away with planting in a smaller plastic pot then putting it inside a bigger one. That's what I did with a non-cp plant since the ceramic pot was still too large for it (4in plastic pot centered in 6in ceramic). In your case it might be better to get two similar sized pots. Cover the surface with sphagnum and no one could tell there's another container within your ceramic one.
By crazidirtbiker
last spring i picked up a nice big light blue pot glazed inside out. I thought it was perfect but in the summer months i soon relized something. The pot was holding so much heat i thought i was gonna cook my flytraps. It would be almost to hot to even touch after being in the sun all day. I was expecially worried about the ones planted closest to the edge of the pot. I wasnt about to transplant in the middle of summer so i just kept the water level higher in the bottom tray. My plants were fine in the long run but i cant help but to imagine what the core temp of that medium had to be lol. Im repotting in a big plastic pot next spring for sure. Just be careful where u place it because glazed pots can get toasty.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!