FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Salute flytraps234
Hi guys I would like to know how to build a greenhouse for highland nelenthes for species for example the "Ventracosa" , "sanguinea" and other highland species. Please and thank you

Sincerely salute flytraps234

I live in Texas on the outskirts of Fort Worth and the climate is not perfect for nepenthes and I plan to collect more highland nepenthes so yeah

And the town is granbury tx
By nimbulan
Nepenthes ventricosa and Nepenthes sanguinea can be easily grown as houseplants unless you live in a very hot climate. There should be no need for a greenhouse.
By Adelaide
Set up a tank with a computer fan to cool and circulate air and a mister to keep humidity up and for evaporative cooling. I have ventricosa and sanguinea in such a set-up. Low maintenance and easy.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
N. ventricosa and sanguinea can both grow very well as intermediates/lowlanders. They should do fine on a windowsill for you. It would be very costly to create a greenhouse to keep highlanders in Texas, but I suppose there is nothing stopping you if you have the money to spare. You would probably need to modify an AC to make it run colder than it is set to. I suggest you watch a few videos on Brad's Greenhouse on youtube.
By Fishman
Salute flytraps234 wrote:And the town is granbury tx
Hey neighbor. Im about 30 minutes NW of you. Go over to Calloways nursery in Fort Worth. They have 2 stores. One on Hulen street, and the other one is north of Fort Worth by Cabellas. Its off of the Alliance Pkwy exit. Both stores regularly stock, N.Lady Luck, N.Miranda, N. Alata, all the easy to grow species that grow well in our area. Or if you want i can hook you up with some cuttings or what not. Best of luck!

Theres also a Calloways over in Arlington off of I-20 and Cooper South exit

For HL species, i have never seen them for sale in our area. I usually order mine online...
By HeliamphoraWalnut
I'm about an hour and a half away from you. I regularly go to calloways to looks for CPs, earlier this year in spring, they had ventrata, miranda, and Lady Luck and purps with FLOWERS and pitcher the size of tennis balls. You never know when you might get lucky.
For other harder to find speicies, I order online from native exotics, california carnivores, and petflytrap(They are in Texas too)
By Fishman
I think im going to go this Thursday or Friday just to see if they have anything good this time. I haven't been to the stores in Dallas, or Plano area, but one day i just might do it for a change of scenery for a day. Last time, the one at our store on Hulen had several different types of d.binata, some s.purps, and a ton of n.miranda none of which i need at all, but i love to see them on display. Other than my display.. plus it gives me a reason to go out for coffee lol
By inkaddict92
An easy way to get that temperature drop at night for highland Neps is to put them on an ice pack over night.

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!