FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Luchiano
Hello! So to start off, the internet does not offer a lot of STRAIGHT-FORWARD info on ping dormancy. I was just curious because some sites say they need a dry dormancy and don't die off, some others say they don't need dormancy at all and are warm-temperate, and, IM CONFUSED! Haha, anyways I live in Hawaii and currently grow nepenthes, cephalotus, and sundew, all of which do extraordinarily! SO, do Pinguicula need dormancy, or could I grow them all year round, outside where temps don't go higher than 89F in the summer and can reach 68F in the winter. Thanks guys, have a great day! :D
By Benurmanii
There is a very large variety of Pinguicula that have different seasonal requirements. The "dry dormancy" you hear about applies to the Pinguicula from Mexico. It is not actually a true dormancy, it is just a period when they grow succulent leaves in order to survive the dry winters in Mexico.
There are also some Pinguicula that need a winter rest/slow down. These Pinguicula are considered "warm temperate", and the most common ones in cultivation come from the South Eastern US. I believe is also misleading, as they do need it to get decently chilly for the rest they need (around 40 degree days seems to do it, but they don't like temps much below freezing).
There are also Pinguicula that need a true cold dormancy. These Pings mostly come from mountains in Europe, and they absolutely need cold temps to survive. They form a small bud of tightly packed leaves called a hibernacula in order to survive freezing temps.
By Luchiano
Benurmanii wrote:There is a very large variety of Pinguicula that have different seasonal requirements. The "dry dormancy" you hear about applies to the Pinguicula from Mexico. It is not actually a true dormancy, it is just a period when they grow succulent leaves in order to survive the dry winters in Mexico.
There are also some Pinguicula that need a winter rest/slow down. These Pinguicula are considered "warm temperate", and the most common ones in cultivation come from the South Eastern US. I believe is also misleading, as they do need it to get decently chilly for the rest they need (around 40 degree days seems to do it, but they don't like temps much below freezing).
There are also Pinguicula that need a true cold dormancy. These Pings mostly come from mountains in Europe, and they absolutely need cold temps to survive. They form a small bud of tightly packed leaves called a hibernacula in order to survive freezing temps.

Thank you! So which would you say would be best for me to grow in Hawaii? We experience a little chilly breeze in the winter and summer's dont get higher than 89F
By Benurmanii
Definitely Mexican Pinguicula. Temps don't change a lot in Mexico during the winters. Those pings just change leaf type based on the dryness (though a lot of people find that they won't change unless light cycle is reduced and temps cooled a bit, simulating a mild winter). They should do well for you. I doubt it will get cool enough for warm temperates, unless you get some that originated from a very southerly location. You can also easily grow Cuban Pinguicula, but those are incredibly rare in the U.S., and you would most likely need to join a group order for an overseas nursery I linked order to get ond.
Benurmanii liked this
By Luchiano
Benurmanii wrote:Definitely Mexican Pinguicula. Temps don't change a lot in Mexico during the winters. Those pings just change leaf type based on the dryness (though a lot of people find that they won't change unless light cycle is reduced and temps cooled a bit, simulating a mild winter). They should do well for you. I doubt it will get cool enough for warm temperates, unless you get some that originated from a very southerly location. You can also easily grow Cuban Pinguicula, but those are incredibly rare in the U.S., and you would most likely need to join a group order for an overseas nursery I linked order to get ond.

Thank you SOOOOO much!! You answered all of my questions, have a great day :) :) :) :)
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!