FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chingz
Hi guys, I want to buy some Heli seeds, open polinated, no id.
But I live in Indonesia, right down in the equator. Very hot, very humid...
I wonder if it can grow nicely or it will grow abnormaly..
Any tips and tricks I can use to help the plant grow?
Thankyou in advance.
By SerMuncherIV
Some species like H. heterodoxa and H. ciliata may be more tolerant of warmer temperatures than others but generally Heliamphora cannot be grown in very hot climates unless there is a way of cooling them. Also, it is not advisable to grow them from seed without prior experience with the plants.
By Aozora
Even at optimal conditions they are hard to take care of, i had one H. Heterodoxa x Minor at 80%humidity, 20C and under 25k lux lights and it still died

But as said above heliamphora cant handle high temperatures, for a day or two it might be possible but if the high temperatures continue any longer than those few days it will without a doubt die.

You could always try to make a cooling chamber and grow them in there.
By nimbulan
Aozora wrote:Even at optimal conditions they are hard to take care of, i had one H. Heterodoxa x Minor at 80%humidity, 20C and under 25k lux lights and it still died

But as said above heliamphora cant handle high temperatures, for a day or two it might be possible but if the high temperatures continue any longer than those few days it will without a doubt die.

You must have had something else going on then, since those conditions are pretty optimal and H. heterodoxa x minor is considered the easiest Heli to grow.
By Aozora
nimbulan wrote:
Aozora wrote:Even at optimal conditions they are hard to take care of, i had one H. Heterodoxa x Minor at 80%humidity, 20C and under 25k lux lights and it still died

You must have had something else going on then, since those conditions are pretty optimal and H. heterodoxa x minor is considered the easiest Heli to grow.
ye i gues so, one of the pitchers started getting brown and soon after all of them did. managed to save a single growth point and put it in a special growing chamber i made for it, hope it will survive :p
By Benurmanii

What soil were you using?
By Aozora
Benurmanii wrote:

What soil were you using?
50-60% perlite mixed with 40-50% peat and a top dressing of living sphagnum moss
By Chingz
Oh wow... It seems almost impossible to grow the plant here.
So sad.
Well, lucky I havent buy the seeds yet. Dont wanna let it die for nothing.
Thankyou for the inputs guys.
By boarderlib
It could be done. You'll just need to figure out how to accomplish keeping the tank temps down, just like most of the guys who have highland/ultra highland setups. They've figured out the easiest way for them to drop temps at night. You're obviously going to need a more efficient cooling system though, since you're in a tropical area.

Get a setup done you think may work. Then get a cheap Heli that's a vigorous grower, and see what happens. Then you'll know where you need to make adjustments to your setup, by the way the plant does.

Like sermuncher mentioned though, a plant would be a far better starting point.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

I heard that keeping your Venus fly trap outdoors […]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!