FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
I've been playing with water germination this year but I never did an apples to apples comparison. Here is the $64.00 question: Do seeds germinate better and quicker in a water filled test tube or in a pot of the appropriate media?

I started with some Drosera capensis "Bain's Kloof" seeds. I divided the packet more or less evenly into two piles. I poured one pile into a test tube, 12mm x 100mm, filled with distilled water. I checked the TDS reading of the distilled water and it was Zero PPM. I sprinkled the other pile onto the surface of a 3" Jiffy Peat Pot filled with a 2:1, Sand:Peat mixture. The pot will be covered with a clear plastic drinking glass to maintain high humidity.

Both are going into my grow tent where they will receive the same light and temperature. Who will germinate first? Who will germinate the most seeds? The race is on!

Good growing,
Mike
By Smooter80
erikHIplants wrote:Awesome experiment! I did the same with some giant capensis on sphagnum vs in the tube. The sphagnum took 12 days and I'm still waiting on germination from the tube... can't wait to see your data.
And I had the exact opposite results with the same seeds. Lol.
By erikHIplants
Smooter80 wrote:
erikHIplants wrote:Awesome experiment! I did the same with some giant capensis on sphagnum vs in the tube. The sphagnum took 12 days and I'm still waiting on germination from the tube... can't wait to see your data.
And I had the exact opposite results with the same seeds. Lol.
The age old "conditions".
By Smooter80
I wonder how much light may have been a factor? I don't remember exactly how I had them originally set up or the photoperiod. I'm always moving seed stuff around. It could be that I had the ones in water under different lights.
By erikHIplants
Smooter80 wrote:I wonder how much light may have been a factor? I don't remember exactly how I had them originally set up or the photoperiod. I'm always moving seed stuff around. It could be that I had the ones in water under different lights.
Just regular t8s here at a 16 hour photoperiod. Maybe it's the magic water :lol:
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!