FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By BriGuy
Hi, my name is Brian, and I'm just getting into Venus Fly Traps. I have three pots, with three plants in each. I have had them for about a week. I bought six plants from Fry's grocery store and three from HD. I also ordered two starter plant cultivars online from this website that I am hoping to receive in the next couple of day's.

Fry's plants #1

Fry's plants #2

Home Depot plants

The plants from HD seem a lot smaller but more numerous. Also some of the traps seem deformed or will not close. Any thoughts?

I am keeping my plant's out side in full sun. It still gets into the 80's during the day and is in the 50's-40's during the night here just north of Tucson AZ. I feel like the plants should start going into dormancy right about now but they don't seem to be. Should I maybe try and force dormancy or will the two months (Dec/Jan) when it actually gets cold here be enough for them? Also, what about the plants I ordered online? Should I not put them in out side sense it is Mid-November and will have probably started dormancy already. Any input or help would be much appreciated. I am fascinated by these plants and hope to be successful at growing them.

Thank You

Brian
By erikHIplants
BriGuy wrote:Hi, my name is Brian, and I'm just getting into Venus Fly Traps. I have three pots, with three plants in each. I have had them for about a week. I bought six plants from Fry's grocery store and three from HD. I also ordered two starter plant cultivars online from this website that I am hoping to receive in the next couple of day's.

Fry's plants #1

Fry's plants #2

Home Depot plants

The plants from HD seem a lot smaller but more numerous. Also some of the traps seem deformed or will not close. Any thoughts?

I am keeping my plant's out side in full sun. It still gets into the 80's during the day and is in the 50's-40's during the night here just north of Tucson AZ. I feel like the plants should start going into dormancy right about now but they don't seem to be. Should I maybe try and force dormancy or will the two months (Dec/Jan) when it actually gets cold here be enough for them? Also, what about the plants I ordered online? Should I not put them in out side sense it is Mid-November and will have probably started dormancy already. Any input or help would be much appreciated. I am fascinated by these plants and hope to be successful at growing them.

Thank You

Brian
I have no idea about VFTs so this may be a usesless comment. But welcome aboard to the forums!
Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

How cold is too cold

The weather is just beginning to warm up here. Th[…]

Hello from New England

I'm new to keeping carnivorous plants. I always w[…]

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!