FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Mrsdriehorst
Hi, I am new, I am new to growing a Venus Flytrap. I am trying to figure out how to not kill my new plant. I have read that it needs to go into Dormant. I am curious if it is safe for me to put it outside now and if it can go in my covered patio? :? How much rain water can I put on it? If it rains, can I leave it in the rain? Please be easy on me, I have never grown a Venus Flytrap and I want to be successful at this. I have my plant in a plastic brown pot with lots of space to grow. It is currently indoors with a artificial light on it. Thank you for your help.
By Mrsdriehorst
I have read most of it. I saw nothing of it being ok to put it in my covered patio. It is currently inside. Should I just keep it indoors?
By boarderlib
These are sun loving plants. The more sun they get the happier they'll be, so no it shouldn't be under a covered patio.

If your climate is similar to where they grow native, then leave them outside in full sun year round. If it's warmer, then the follow the above, unless it's tropical. If it's colder then you'll need to come up with a way of keeping them from freezing to death. We would need to know where in the world you are to give you more specific advice.

Rain water is one of the acceptable waters to use. Moist not wet during the growing season. Cut way back on the water during dormancy. I personally leave mine in the rain, since it's less distilled water that I have to buy.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Matt
Welcome to FlytrapCare! Boarderlib gave you some good feedback. If you still have questions, feel free to post them and we'll try to help you out. Knowing where you live would help us give you more detailed suggestions.
Matt liked this
By Mrsdriehorst
I live in Washington, Pacific North West. During the day it is has been 55 to 65 degrees.

Thank you for the help. It is rainy season. I put it outside ASAP, if it is not to late. I have had it indoors since I got it. I got it the beginning of August.
By Matt
We live in Oregon and still have all of our flytraps outside. The nights are getting close to frost now, so they might be going inside some nights soon, but as long as it's not a hard frost or freeze, they'll stay outdoors.
Matt liked this
By Earthy
I'm in MN and we seem to be having an Indian Summer, so mine are still outside and they have gone dormant (last year by now they were already in the garage 24/7). they went dormant so quick that they still have some Summer leaves and a few smaller, barely visible dormancy leaves cause they "dug" themselves into the medium so much lol...guess that's for protection, eh? they are only getting watered like every 10 days it seems right now :)
Earthy liked this
By Mrsdriehorst
Matt, We are just on the other side of the river. Just moved from Oregon, so this is our first Winter/Fall in Battle Ground. It is rainy weather up here today.

Mine is outside right now. It seams to be enjoying it out there.

I thank everyone for the help. I want to make sure this plant succeeds.
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!