FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By lavandulum
I got this baby from a Lowe's just about a month ago. It's been repotted in a taller container and has been hanging out in full sun for a good week now, and this was its first catch!

Unfortunately, in the days following this photo the trap began to brown and rot around its catch. Looks like the little guy was just a little too ambitious.

20160826_115105.jpg
20160826_115105.jpg (942.42 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
By Leo756
That usually just means that particular trap happened to be at the end of its lifespan. Or sometimes it's because the bug was too big for the trap -- it literally bit off more than it can chew! There's nothing to worry about as long as it's just *one* trap that's going bad, and if it proceeds from the trap end down toward the center. It's when things move in the *other* direction that you need to be worried.

I'm surprised that's a typical from Lowe's. The cilia look *very* short, almost like a Sawtooth variety. Also, what kind of media are you using? Pure sand? It's not white like silica sand. Seems like such an odd color and texture.
By lavandulum
Haha yes, I'm not at all concerned about the trap. The plant is happy and vigorous overall, and its roots showed lots of new growth when I repotted it. That trap had only recently opened so I'm confident it just bit off more than it could chew so fresh out of the death cube!

It's potted in 50/50 peat moss and perlite, btw; the sand is just a top dressing. It is silica sand, just darker from moisture. Dry it's much, much lighter.

Also, I know, the teeth are so interesting! I was surprised when the first new traps opened and had such fine, dense teeth. The traps' coloration is also different from a typical. Even in full sun they hasn't developed much red pigment, just the faintest blush of pink.
By Deftinwolf
Yeah the texture of it looks way off though, from any silica sand I've seen when damp. Looks like play sand to me.
By lavandulum
Hmm. If it looks suspect, I'll replace it with a LFS dressing. Better safe than sorry.

The packaging was labeled "washed silica sand" and "100% quartz" but who knows what, uh... 'artistic liberties' the manufacturer has taken with that statement.

I noticed that the sand didn't cloud the water much when I washed it, and it didn't react at all with vinegar... I might soak some in RO water for several days and test the water's TDS periodically to see if they're potentially leaching any salts.
By boarderlib
That is a great find for a Lowe's plant! I'm so jealous. My box stores only carry lost causes.

I'm sure you'll see that guy take bigger mouthfuls than that eventually.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Deftinwolf
If it said 100% quartz you're good, must just be a MUCH smaller grading than I've seen used for carnivorous plants.
By Big-Jack
Interesting teeth. If the other traps cilia are similar you may own a new mutant i.e. cultivar.
By lavandulum
Yes, that's an exciting thought. I'm waiting to see what the traps look like once the plant is fully adjusted to the outdoors and its new pot. Top growth has slowed for the moment, but I'm thinking it'll come back soon enough. So far it's proven itself to be a pretty resilient specimen.
By lavandulum
Little update. Traps are getting bigger! I came home from a 3 day trip to find nearly every newly opened trap full. Warms my heart. :P

Oh also, there is a tiny second growth point emerging from the rhizome. I can't wait to see it grow next spring!
Attachments:
IMG_20160912_093707.jpg
IMG_20160912_093707.jpg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
lavandulum liked this
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!