FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Theusername_
Hello everybody,

I need help identifying this plant that I have. I would also like to know if it is healthy and growing well, and if I have to pour some water into the pitchers (some of the new leaves are growing at a 30 degree angle and drooping).

As can be seen from the images, some of the plants are discolored. Are these discolorations burn marks? Also, are the small holes on the side of the plant a cause for concern?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!
Attachments:
20160724_190649.jpg
20160724_190649.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2120 times
By Leathal_Traps
That's either a sarracenia purpurea or a purpurea hybrid. It definitely needs more light. How long have you had the plant? You can add water into the pitchers but I personally wouldn't because of how droopy they are ( this is caused by lack of light). Discoloration is normal on old pictures, and the holes on the side could be a sign of some sort of pest.
By SFLguy
Yeah definitely needs more light and it definitely has purpurea in it, i just don't know if it's pure purp
SFLguy liked this
By dr_donut
It's not a pure purp, as the pitchers are too tall. It might be mixed with something like a flava.
By Theusername_
Really appreciate the replies guys. I've had the plant for about 3 months. I guess I haven't been giving it enough direct sunlight (I placed it under an umbrella).

How many hours of direct sunlight should I provide it? I read I should provide it with full sun.

Also, while I should keep the soil moist at all times, should I let the pot sit on standing water?

And while purified water is best for the plant, will rainwater be a good alternative?

Thanks again!
By dr_donut
1. As much sun as you can give it.

2. Yes, leaving the plant sitting in pure water is a good idea.

3. If you can collect rainwater, that would be the best, with 0ppm in my area.
By steve booth
Being a Purpurea hybrid it will enjoy standing in water in summer, it will love as much sun as you can give it so long as you acclimate it first, that will get rid of the green and give you some colour and yes a little water in the pitchers will help the plant absorb the nutrients from its prey.
The browning looks like old leaves dying and is normal

Cheers
Steve
By bigpurp57
I have one that looks similar to that one and if it is exposed to good sunlight it could wind up looking like this one, it is definitely a hybrid, pitchers are about 10" tall now.

So if you can acclimate it and then post pics of what it looks like in a month or so, I think you will be presently surprised.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!