FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Gambit00
So I've run out of space to grow my sphagnum indoors and really I've been wanting to move it all outside. I have a large clear plastic container, I imagined moving it all into that container outside filling it with 1-2 inches of water and covering it all with a black mesh covering to filter and block some sunlight. I also have a few typicals flytraps already growing outside in 1 inch of water that I want to try putting in the middle. The problem is it's average 90-105 degrees or so here in my part of CA. Will this container kill my plants? Anything I can do to cool it off? Maybe a foil wrapping? I was super bored so I doodled you guys a picture for reference. Thanks for looking
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.21 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
By ironjaws
Hey there, fellow California CP grower!

In my opinion the high humidity inside the box will probably work for your sphagnum moss, but harm your flytraps.

It looks like you are thinking about putting a shade cloth type of material on top as well, limiting sunlight. If your flytraps are growing well already, I wouldn't move them. The humidity will be higher and it will be hotter as well.

But being the curious type that I am, if I was so inclined I may place one flytrap inside and see how it does.
ironjaws liked this
By Gambit00
Hello! Thank you for the advice Ironjaws. I've moved my sphagnum into the little setup I imagined but left the flytraps where they are. The flytraps are ready to divide so I may pull one division out and place it with the sphagnum. I guess I imagined the sphagnum and flytraps together like a bog, but I know being inside a container is not the same thing.
Red meat viability claims

I'm not taking it seriously until they start feedi[…]

Andy, go to the Photone support page and scroll al[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

I rarely see white deposits on pots. I read on t[…]

Water Quality

So I tested my water using a aquarium strips and w[…]

I wonder if you could mix a small amount of the […]

I would only use a water trey for peat/perlite. LF[…]

Flytrap Growth

Nice pic!

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!