FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Tde555
I recently bought an Akai Ryu venus flytrap young plant. It hasn't got here yet but I'm looking forward to recieving it. I've never owned a flytrap or any plant really before so I was wondering if there were any tips I should know about it. I already read over all the general care tips. I live in southern Louisiana so there is relative high humidity and its hot. Are there any care tips specific to young plants? Thanks
By Jds
Welcome to Flytrapcare forum.
No specific tip for young plant except slowly making it used to your conditions instead of directly making it face harsh afternoon sunlight or so.
It needs good amount of sunlight,tray of water filled always(but sometimes water from above too to wash away accumulated minerals),water should have TDS less than 50 ppm.
NO FERTILIZER.
If you have any other questions then ask freely.
Jds liked this
By xr280xr
Jds wrote:tray of water filled always
This can keep it too wet. It depends on your growing conditions.
xr280xr liked this
By AaaaNinja
Akai ryuu is more sensitive than usual to minerals, even soft tap water that's been tested to be safe for carnivores. Just use mineral-free distilled and rainwater.

Don't worry about humidity. But if it's high that means the soil won't dry out as fast that's always a risk with small pots. Keep water in the tray when it gets hot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
By Tde555
Jds wrote:Welcome to Flytrapcare forum.
No specific tip for young plant except slowly making it used to your conditions instead of directly making it face harsh afternoon sunlight or so.
It needs good amount of sunlight,tray of water filled always(but sometimes water from above too to wash away accumulated minerals),water should have TDS less than 50 ppm.
NO FERTILIZER.
If you have any other questions then ask freely.
What is the best way to get it used to the climate? It's very hot here (the high for the whole week is mid to low 90s) I don't want to kill the leaves. Should I go half in the sun half out the sun? I want to grow it outside unless it would be better to grow it inside. The front of my house faces south east so I can grow it in a windowsill if I need to. I plan on collecting rain water but where can I get distilled water if I need it? Can I buy it? When's the right time to repot it? Do I need to feed it (I saw a guy feeding his rehydrated bloodworms) I know they photosynthesise but I know they eat things for nitrogen so do they have to eat things? Sorry lots of questions lol
By Jds
What is the best way to get it used to the climate?
You have to start from giving it sunlight for half an hour for first day,and increase 15-20 minutes everyday,it will be used to your conditions maybe after 15-20 days.
After that you can keep it outside whole day.
I plan on collecting rain water but where can I get distilled water if I need it? Can I buy it?
First check TDS of tap water if it is below 50(-5,+5 will be fine)ppm then you can use it.You can check for distilled water in supermarket(I dont have any idea),Rainwater will be the best.
When's the right time to repot it?
There is no need to repot if it is tall pot 15+ cm for young plants.
Venus flytraps need tall pots because of their roots,you should have no concern about length and breadth.
Do I need to feed it (I saw a guy feeding his rehydrated bloodworms) I know they photosynthesise but I know they eat things for nitrogen so do they have to eat things?
If you keep it outside it will feed itself,if you keep it inside,you can feed it but dont feed more than 2-3 times a month,rehydrated bloodworms will be the best.
Dont feed bigger than the trap size,approximately half the size will be enough.
By pieguy452
Hello and welcome :)

If you haven't done so yet I would highly reccomend you read the flytrap care guides at the home page of flytrapcare. That would be the best place to start for tips.
pieguy452 liked this
By Tde555
Jds wrote:
What is the best way to get it used to the climate?
You have to start from giving it sunlight for half an hour for first day,and increase 15-20 minutes everyday,it will be used to your conditions maybe after 15-20 days.
After that you can keep it outside whole day.
I plan on collecting rain water but where can I get distilled water if I need it? Can I buy it?
First check TDS of tap water if it is below 50(-5,+5 will be fine)ppm then you can use it.You can check for distilled water in supermarket(I dont have any idea),Rainwater will be the best.
When's the right time to repot it?
There is no need to repot if it is tall pot 15+ cm for young plants.
Venus flytraps need tall pots because of their roots,you should have no concern about length and breadth.
Do I need to feed it (I saw a guy feeding his rehydrated bloodworms) I know they photosynthesise but I know they eat things for nitrogen so do they have to eat things?
If you keep it outside it will feed itself,if you keep it inside,you can feed it but dont feed more than 2-3 times a month,rehydrated bloodworms will be the best.
Dont feed bigger than the trap size,approximately half the size will be enough.

Should I set the plant outside for 30-45 minutes to expose it to the sun and then bring it in? Then should I put it in like a windowsill?
By Dematerialize
I'd keep it outside in a shady spot. They dislike being moved around a lot too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
By Tde555
Jds wrote:Yes,that will be fine but do not directly keep for more than 2-3 hours it will get burnt.
Okay thank you so much my flytrap came in today and it looks great. It's so tiny and there's a lot of traps (I can attach a picture if you want) when I first got it I noticed most of the traps were closed except one and a few small ones. Naturally the first thing I'm gonna do is test it out and I gently put the tip of a toothpick in its trap and wiggled it around a little. Nothing happened I don't think the trap is opened all the way yet but is that normal for young plants? I currently am keeping it outside overnight since its not as hot so the leaves won't get burned and it's humid outside. Thanks
By Jds
Yes,it might have closed during transit,at present I prefer not to test it as it uses a lot of energy to close the trap.
And yes,it will be better if you attach a picture.
By Tde555
Traps
Traps
image.jpeg (733.7 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
My flytrap
My flytrap
image.jpeg (793.16 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Jds wrote:Yes,it might have closed during transit,at present I prefer not to test it as it uses a lot of energy to close the trap.
And yes,it will be better if you attach a picture.

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!