FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bijillon
High I just got a N. Maxima x Tenuis in the mail and I potted it in sphagnum moss. I'm keeping it moist. I have a couple weak lamps that are on 14-15 hours a day. This is great for my vfts but how about for the pitcher? I can send a picture later. Any advice like keeping it cool or warm?
By beepybeetle
bijillon wrote:High I just got a N. Maxima x Tenuis in the mail and I potted it in sphagnum moss. I'm keeping it moist. I have a couple weak lamps that are on 14-15 hours a day. This is great for my vfts but how about for the pitcher? I can send a picture later. Any advice like keeping it cool or warm?
If they are sufficient for a VFT, they should be good enough for a Nep, since VFTs need a LOT more light than your typical Nepenthes sp. And hybrids tend to be even hardier. Maxima is a really hardy species and tenuis is an intermediate/highlander so your plant should be very adaptable. I'd just say keep the temperatures around what you'd have everywhere else in the house. Mist it once or twice a day, but don't over-mist as moisture in the rosette of the plant can cause mold growth. Also, is that a clay pot?
By bijillon
beepybeetle wrote:
bijillon wrote:High I just got a N. Maxima x Tenuis in the mail and I potted it in sphagnum moss. I'm keeping it moist. I have a couple weak lamps that are on 14-15 hours a day. This is great for my vfts but how about for the pitcher? I can send a picture later. Any advice like keeping it cool or warm?
If they are sufficient for a VFT, they should be good enough for a Nep, since VFTs need a LOT more light than your typical Nepenthes sp. And hybrids tend to be even hardier. Maxima is a really hardy species and tenuis is an intermediate/highlander so your plant should be very adaptable. I'd just say keep the temperatures around what you'd have everywhere else in the house. Mist it once or twice a day, but don't over-mist as moisture in the rosette of the plant can cause mold growth. Also, is that a clay pot?
I have setup a humidity chamber for it. I have moved it into a plastic pot and the chamber I put it in is sorta grey so it's not in direct light. Since I have done this it has perked up and the new pitcher is about to inflate!

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Rain

A little kids' wading pool works well, too. It has[…]

Sundew in forest

Bugs are the foundation of the ecosystem. Killin[…]

S. purpurea?

Looks like a hybrid to me, purpurea crossed with f[…]

Okay, thanks for the tip. I don't want to fully re[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!